RCBS Precison Mic

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

RCBS Precison Mic

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:41 am

Got a chance to use the RCBS Precision Mic yesterday on my Rem 7mm Mag brass. This gauge works pretty good, determined that my Rem 700 only has 0.005" of head spacing. Which is good that it's on the short size. Does not over work the brass as much. 1/2 of my brass I only had to neck size with the other 1/2 requiring FL to bump the shoulder back 0.002". And these were the first rifle loads on my LNL that I have had coming up on 4 yrs now. Works nice if you use a good lube like the Imperial Sizing Wax. Not much harder than doing a 357mag pistol round. But if you don't use enough you want make it in 1/2 way. The RCBS NS die makes quick work if your don't have to FL size. Now if I can find a powder that preforms likes IMR 4350 that's a ball powder so it meters good. The tubular powder does not meter good in any powder dispenser due to it's tubular shape. But since I'm at max charge I weigh every one. But it's taken me almost 30 yrs to finish my last batch of reloads. :D Needless to say I don't shoot it very much. But that is changing since the hogs have moved into my dad's place. Now to reload the the 50 308 rounds I have.

The tool that comes with the Precision Mic to measure the rifling distance you might as well throw it away. Since then profile will more than likely not match your bullet. In my case there was 0.025" difference. But it does give you a reference you can use once you check your bullets.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Sebago

Going through same thing with my 7mm Rem

Post by Sebago » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:50 pm

I have some H414 that I'm trying, so for 3" groups with the min load off Hodgdon site. I have 3 more batches of 3 moving up in .5 grain increments to try. I'll post if I find a good load. The h414 is ball type and meters well.
Alex

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Sebago, Welcome to GTO

Every gun likes something different. My 7mm will shoot <.5" MOA at 100 yrds easily. It's one of those tack drivers you love to have. I need to do some more work on my Win Model 100 in 308. From every thing I read it's only a 3-4" moa at 100 yrds. I think I can lower this will a little work.

Working up loads is the enjoyment I get from reloading. Taking a 2" MOA to < 1" is the rewards.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911