.357 & FTX

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Yesterday, my son and I went into the woods for a shooting session. I fired 45 rounds of the 140 gr. FTX loads and 50 rounds of the 200 gr. FTX loads and was very impressed with the accuracy. Although I was not shooting under bench rest conditions, I was able to bust rocks and sticks with regularity at 125 yards, standing, off hand. More than ample for hunting purposes. And that is with the rifle sighted in at 50 feet. I'm very anxious to get to a range for fine tuning.

We did have a couple of mishaps. I was firing his 6.5mm x .257 Roberts (bolt action) and one had a case head separation and blew hot gases and powder back in my face. Bloodied my nose and today it is nice and brown.....an instant sun tan, as it were. Glad I had my glasses on.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:56 am

Glad to hear the FTX are working for you and sorry to hear about the case separation. May be time check the other cases for weak spots. When there's one there are normally more. Depending on how may time they have been fired may be time to just retire that brass and get some new. But that particular rounds is getting harder to find from what others have said on other forums.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Glad to hear the FTX are working for you and sorry to hear about the case separation. May be time check the other cases for weak spots. When there's one there are normally more. Depending on how may time they have been fired may be time to just retire that brass and get some new. But that particular rounds is getting harder to find from what others have said on other forums.
He found a box of .257 Roberts and we fired them to fire form the cases so he has a fresh batch now. Those were old cases, to be sure. Some that I had fired many times from the '60's. We didn't fire the rest. He's going to disassemble them and reuse the bullets in the new cases.

The end of my nose has turned a dark brown and scabbed over. Grandaughter called me Rudolph right after when it was bright red. Sure glad I was wearing my glasses.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.