.44 mag reloading ?'s

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

.44 mag reloading ?'s

Post by Biggjimm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 pm

I am just getting ready to start loading my own hunting ammo. I shoot a T/C encore w/ a 20" .44 mag rifle barrel & also have an encore 12" pistol barrel. I have some hornady FTX 225 gr & XTP 240 gr bullets after that any recommendations on what powder & charge weights to start out with? I know I'll have to play around w/ load combinations to see what each gun likes but I have to start somewhere & I figure if one of you guys had a formula that worked good in a similar set up that might be the best place to start. Thanks.[/u]
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:31 pm

I don't reload for the 44mag but do for the 357mag which is very similar. My preferred powders are W296 for full house loads and 2400 for the lighter. W296 requires a Mag primer and you only drop off 3% from max when you start, not the normal 10% like other powders. It was specifically mfg for the 357 and 44 mag ammo. 2400 is a very good forgiving powder that I mainly use for lead bullets but works well with jacketed. It does not require a mag primer.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:28 pm

I load some pretty stiff 357mag for my S&W revolver, and I find them easy to reload. What's nice is the fact that it's impossible to 'double load' the 357 mag, and I assume the same with the 44mag, because W296 comes to about 1/4" from the mouth of the brass when loaded as required. Now you can be off a few grains either way and possibly cause some problems, but you can't double load them. When doing some internet research to find out what others were loading their 357mags with, I came across an article that made my jaw drop. A fellow stated he seen a reloader fill the 357mag case to the brim and compress the bullet in :shock: , claiming there were never any problems doing this. I would NEVER try something so ignorant, but they're out there doing it. I like loading my 357's to about mid point of what the Hodgdon reloading website says, and they really 'bark' at this level. Shooting mag rounds is good stress relief. With all that being said, I like W296, which require mag primers. Be safe,
Haka

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 am

Looking in my notes dating back to 1995.
Mind you, I shoot a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel.
These are full power loads so approach with caution.

My hunting load was using Hornady 300gr HP/XTP over 17.7gr Accurate #9 with a heavy crimp.
Load and crimp in the bottom cannalure.

My plinking loads were 240gr JHP over 21.5gr Accurate #9.
And yes, I plink with full house loads.

Clarence
Master indoor and out
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts.(need a hard leg)
10z n Xs

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks guys. I haven't started loading any yet. I'm still in the research & education process. I figure this is one project that it wouldn't hurt to be patient & get all the info I can before I actually start loading anything. My buddy is gonna come over & show me what to & not to do once I get ready to start but he doesn't load .44. He does load .223 & .40 (which I am going to load also) & he keeps a pretty elaborate set of notes plus I've shot his loads for years so I should be covered on those calibers & now I have an idea of a where to start with the .44 so I'm looking forward to cooking some up & getting to the range to see how it goes. Thanks again & I'll be sure to post with some results when I get this ball rolling.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.