Cussing a Lee Die

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Makes sense to me now. I can feel the round seating sometimes as the bolt handle closes harder. Just like feeding on a 10/22 the only rounds that have a the chamber problem are then HP rounds and they have a small flat that sometimes catches on the edge of the chamber
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Lee sent the compression nut and depriming pin pretty quickly. I used a spray case lube on the outside and the Lee case lube in the inside. I had 3 or 4 stuck cases because this one is darned sensitive to lube.

Lee says to loosen the compression nut on the die and drive the stuck case out by striking the decapping pin with a punch. You then have to cut the end of the case off to get it off the pin. I found it easier to move the die to the single stage press and fit the shell holder around the base and use the ram to remove the casing.

Next problem was seating some primers. Two causes. The first was caused by the casing not seated directly over the primer. The Lee shell plate carrier has a spring steel retainer to hold the casing in place. It needed to be bent slightly to hold the casing in place. The second problem is that the CCI No. 400 primers were not consistent. Some jammed in the feed tube. Some turned sideways in the feed tube and some had tops that weren't pressed down enough.

In the end, I got about 300 cases resized, primed and trimmed and about 50 reloaded with 22grains of A2460.