Primer troubles

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Primer troubles

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:48 pm

the other evening I was loading some 45 acp, I had about 250 loaded when I started having issues with primers seating every now and then sideway, flattening and the anvil coming off , all sorts of weird issues. i spent an hout taking apart my press, primer feed, etc etc etc..

then I looked at the brass..... doh! :roll: federal brass with a SMALL primer pocket..... :(
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Primer troubles

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 17, 2014 11:46 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:the other evening I was loading some 45 acp, I had about 250 loaded when I started having issues with primers seating every now and then sideway, flattening and the anvil coming off , all sorts of weird issues. i spent an hout taking apart my press, primer feed, etc etc etc..

then I looked at the brass..... doh! :roll: federal brass with a SMALL primer pocket..... :(
got to sort out your brass there are some with thm small primers, why , I do not know
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:09 am

Yes, The SP have been out for close to 8 yrs now. The SP are the Non Toxic type and are available only in SP. Federal and Speer are the main ones. The Fed have the 2 dots on each side of their name for easy identification. I have been sorting them out for may years now. They wreck havoc on a progressive press. I know of one guy that made a sorter to kick the SP out. He has this on his 650 or 1050. What he does is deprime/size then he has ram that checks the size. If the ram does not go up all the way it energizes a solenoid to kick the brass out to a container. So that station goes through empty. Since he's running a brass feeder things just keep on running. All brass is sorted by the reloading press.

I just built me a jig for my end mill (to hold the brass) so I can enlarge primer pockets to LP. All I'm waiting on is the end mill bit and reamer to come in monday. I'm up to 500+ of the SP 45 brass. I prefer the LP primer in the 45acp. I'm finding more and more of the SP at the range every time I go. They are not going away. Probably in another 10 yrs only the SP brass will made

Some like the SP and others hate them. They give you about 25-30 lower fps but some report a smaller deviation. Some trade off the SP for LP while others just save them and change over their primer station. I've reloaded them when I was switching over to 9mm.

Now if I can find a 8lb jug of WST I would be set. I'm down to < 3 lbs. of WST after last week reload session. I may be forced to 231 of WSF next year if I don't find any before then. I have a full 8# jug of WSF so I do have plenty of powder I can use but not my preferred powder.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 20, 2014 5:37 am

Get a Dillon Super Swage 600 to press out those primer pockets with heavy crimps. One pull of the handle and the pockets are pressed out perfect for seating new primers. Much better than trying to chamfer the cases either by hand or by power drill.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 25, 2014 8:47 am

The Dillon looks pretty neat.

The other solution would be to reload them with small pistol primers. But then I'd have to remember which reloads had which primer.

I went through the mix of SPP in with my LPP cases a couple years ago. My Lee Pro would seat primers and then not seat one, or two or three in a row then would go back to seating them. I wrote Lee, cussed the press and used all kinds of technical language and started separating the casings that didn't want to seat primers before I finally looked at the cases closely. After the palm to the forehead, I started looking at the cases. I have 200-300 spp cases. Haven't gotten around to reloading them with SPP's, or doing anything but adding them to the brass collection.