Interchangeable Rifle Parts

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Basshoe

Interchangeable Rifle Parts

Post by Basshoe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:07 pm

I have a S&W M&P-15. Do all M-4 and AR type rifle parts interchange with each other? Seems to be a topic I get a lot of different answers to and it has gotten me pretty turned around about the subject. Thanks in advance, Darrell.
Kill it - Skin it - Eat it

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:58 am

Most do but not all. If the rifles are built to military specifications then you have a better chance but individual rifles all have tolerances that may require fitting of parts. Then there's the "large/pin small pin" issues with Colt rifles.

R,
Bullseye

Basshoe

Post by Basshoe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:36 pm

Bullseye,
Thanks for the information. Can you tell me how to identify if my rifle is built to military specifications? I bought it new at a gun shop here in town but don't know how to tell if it is built to military specifications or not. As you can tell I am new to the AR type weapon and all your help is much appreciated. Probably should have done a little more research on the subject prior to buying one but all it took was one look and I had to have her.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 pm

The answer to your question unfortunately takes you in a circle to your original question - If GI parts fit in it properly, or your main parts interchange with MIL-STD firearms then it is likely within military specifications. With few exceptions your carbine is generally interchangeable with other CAR-15's. S&W didn't want to reinvent the wheel and wanted to get into the law enforcement and military markets with their M&P-15 rifles. Smith uses another manufacturer (Stag Arms) for the castings and then fits them individually for their rifles. If you're just looking to accessorize then you shouldn't have any real issues with your rifle and aftermarket parts.

R,
Bullseye

Basshoe

Post by Basshoe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks Bullseye,
Accessories are what I am after. It looks like I am going to want a quad rail, a front hand grip, a decent scope; this will be an area of much needed research, and a lighting system. I want to stay affective but I would also like a very tactical look. Thanks for all your help I do appreciate it.