AR fever

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

AR fever

Post by Hakaman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:08 pm

KAZ, have not seen any thig from you or the Hakaman is some time
Still hangin' in here. I have been a little busy lately, and have had my eyes on this machine:
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=226
Anybody have any thoughts on this rifle? It would be my first AR style rifle. I'm not sure if I would rather have a more tactical looking rifle, or this one. It probably would be a good shooter. I am looking for a target shooter in .223.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 pm

The RRA's are pretty good shooters. Are you looking at the A2 version for your target gun?

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Actually, I was looking at the A4 with the removable handle. I am still trying to learn all the in's and outs of these rifles, an am looking for a good quality target shooter. Is the A4 more adaptable to mounting optics? I almost ordered one of these a couple days ago, based on the recommendation of club member. I feel it would be a good choice, but want to be sure. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
H

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 pm

If you're looking at adding traditional optics then the A4 is a better choice. The carry handle attaches to a rail that can be used for attaching scope rings.

R,
Bullseye

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

A2 A4

Post by Pete D. » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:54 am

Those are nice rifles. If you are, though, looking for a target rifle to use in Highpower Service Rifle matches, the A2 may be the better choice.
Here's a comment from another forum: "The A4 detachable carry handle can make things excessively complicated (not enough elevation travel for 600yds, more difficult to reach through to trip the bolt, possibility of the whole handle and rear sight coming loose). You want something with a 1:7" twist, maybe 1:8" to spin 80gr bullets for 600yds."

Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:28 am

I agree with Pete on the A2 version, if you're looking into shooting in service rifle competition. Just looking to target shoot without the competitive side, the A4 will suffice.

The RRA has a free floated 1:8 twist heavy stainless match barrel. They also claim to have their carry handle's rear sights sights fully capable for elevation adjustments out to 600 yards.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:43 am

Those are nice rifles. If you are, though, looking for a target rifle to use in Highpower Service Rifle matches, the A2 may be the better choice.
I agree with Pete on the A2 version, if you're looking into shooting in service rifle competition. Just looking to target shoot without the competitive side, the A4 will suffice.
The RRA has a free floated 1:8 twist heavy stainless match barrel. They also claim to have their carry handle's rear sights sights fully capable for elevation adjustments out to 600 yards.
Thanks guys, good info. My friend, who is an "iron sights" only type of guy, has got the A2 version. I guess that tells you something about preference of the A2 in certain situations. I think I am still hedging on the A4 version for some neat optic addition. I would be shooting to 200 yards max for now, only with friendly type competition involvement. Example: Our club had a The Eighth Annual Ground Hog Shoot is on for Sunday January 31st at 10:00 am. Adult competitors please bring six two liter plastic bottles of diet soda (preferred it’s not sticky) to hang as your targets at 200 yards. Goal is the least amount of shots and quickest time to hit all six bottles. We're also having a "potato shoot". Those dog-gone potatoes are hard to hit with a 22lr, the wind keeps moving them around! This is with a 22lr at 50 yards. Many fun comps like this(might seem like "no fun" to some) and also a Service Rifle practice/league is starting up this month. As far as NM type competitions (camp perry etc), "Old man Haka" just ain't got the eyes or ambition for. These old bones can barely make it out of bed in the morn.
Oldman Haka

ps, you should see them 2 litre bottle explode when you hit em. Cool :mrgreen:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:46 am

I see an A4 in your future.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:19 pm

I have been doing some research trying to learn some things about the "ever-growing" interest in the AR style rifles. I most likely will get one, once I understand the rifle, and get one that really suits me. I did find this web site, and it is very interesting. It shows the difference between "gas impingement" and "gas piston" systems. By clicking icon on the right side of the screen, you can alternate between the two systems.
Anybody who has any input or advice on the subject would be appreciated.
Thanks, Haka

enjoy:
http://www.armytimes.com/projects/flash ... 0_carbine/

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:47 am

"Gas piston" would be more like an AK or SKS very reliable and not prone to stoppage due to fouling.....(IE sig556 h&k416)
"gas inpingement" blows gas and fouling to the carrier key and is alleged to cause stoppage due to fouling...(m16 ar15)

up to you if you want to pay the big bucks for a piston gun

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:19 am

In the current M-16/AR-15 variants some of the exhaust gasses are vented back into the receiver. Most of it is expelled out of the ejection port but some is vented down into the receiver and onto the bolt. In the gas piston versions, the hot exhaust gasses are vented out of the front of the rifle piston and are directed away from the receiver and shooter.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:54 pm

I think I have ruled out the gas/piston system, it's just tooo much money for the amount of shooting I will do (not a great deal). The 3 rifles I am most serious about are the "NM LAR-15 A4 ($1170), RRA Elite Comp($1250), and RRA Elite Operator($1010). Maybe I won't get any and save my money?
"Unsure in Michigan" Haka

Sparks134

Post by Sparks134 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:58 pm

I looked at AR-15's for over 6 months until I decided on a Stag Model2.Since receiving it, I put Magpul Moe hand guards, an Aimpoint red dot,a Timney 4# single stage trigger, a Bravo Company auto bolt carrier group, an ambi safety and also purchased a CMMG .22 conversion kit which has over 1k .22 rounds without any FTF or FTE.
The weapon is of simple design, easy to maintain / clean and a lot of fun to shoot.....Good luck with your purchase...........Ed

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:47 pm

I looked at AR-15's for over 6 months until I decided on a Stag Model2.Since receiving it, I put Magpul Moe hand guards, an Aimpoint red dot,a Timney 4# single stage trigger, a Bravo Company auto bolt carrier group, an ambi safety and also purchased a CMMG .22 conversion kit which has over 1k .22 rounds without any FTF or FTE.
The weapon is of simple design, easy to maintain / clean and a lot of fun to shoot.....Good luck with your purchase...........Ed
Not more then 5 minutes ago (before you posted), I was looking at the Stag Arms Model 2T, it is the one that caught my eye as well.
thanks ed
Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:06 pm

After much deliberating, I chose this rifle (A4 version):
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=226
I wanted a nice shooter to keep up with all the henrys that the rest of you own. Also, I figure if I want a more tactical AR, I'll build one this coming next winter.
Haka