LMT in 223?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

LMT in 223?

Post by gcp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Do any of you guys have personal experince with this company? Thinking of taking the dive but want to make sure they are worth their high price, especially the MRP.

http://www.lewismachine.net/

Thanks,
gcp

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:18 am

I own one and have shot several. A very well put together AR. They don't seem to cut corners and they supposedly really test drive each gun/upper/lower they sell. If not equal or better than a Colt, then it's darn close.

I would buy another in a heart beat.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:28 am

Tbag, thank you for your reply, I bought one yesterday.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... 045%20ACP/

I changed out the sear and hammer this morning and have no creep now, the trigger's breaking right at 4lbs. But I'm a bit disappointed with the LMT butt stock, too many rough edges on the plastic that'll have to be smoothed out. Plus their manual is nothing more than a Xerox copy, stapled together that does not represent this particular rifle, more generic so to speak. I hope they didn't take such shortcuts with the innards of the rifle but I don't believe so because from what I've seen the rifle is put together very well. But the proof's in the shooting.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:21 pm

Oh no, they don't waste much time on things that really don't count, such as smoothing out a stock. Did your upper look like it was run? I know mine looked as if it had a couple of mags dumped through it. Same goes for two others I had the pleasure of checking out when new. A buddy of mine called them at one point and the tech stated that each one has more than a few rounds through it prior to shipping. Which to me I like as then there is less chance of it going back for issues that other manufactures wouldn't know about till after the fact.

So what hammer/sear did you put in it?

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Well, this morning I smothed the buttstock out with a bit of 600 grit sandpaper and now all the sharp edges are history, feels much-much better to the touch. Didn't realy notice any residue on the upper, looked nice and clean and very well oiled, all over.

The hammer and sear are an old leftover DPMS set I had stoned to 4 lbs. Don't know why the DPMS actual trigger portion would not fit in my lower without removing the safety, still studying that one.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Most times one may need to remove the safety to get the trigger in place, on occasion a squiggly wiggly motion gets it done. Believe it has to do with how thick the trigger tail actually is as they can vary slightly. Tis a nice look weapon you have in those pictures!

Now if you want to remove some additional creep, add/install a set screw in the pistol grip screw hole to elevate the tail of the trigger just a smidge. If you decide to do this, run the set screw up into the hole until it almost binds the safety from turning, than back off a quarter turn. Depending on the length of you pistol grip screw you may or may not have to either shorten your screw or add a couple of small washers or just replace it with a slightly shorter screw. I've done this to several AR's as well as a bit of polishing and have come out with some very nice triggers.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:17 pm

So how do you like the Moe foregrip?

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:45 pm

Tbag, thanks for the info! The foregrips are PMAG and I much prefer to the stock look. The gun dealer I bought from, who's also my buddy istalled them for me and now likes the look so much that he send me an email this morning indicating that he'll be buying one :lol:

I reworked the trigger group by removing the safety and the trigger's now breaks right under 4lbs with absolutely no creep. Sweet!

The 3 amigos

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:50 pm

The LMT shot like a dream guys, only put 30 rounds through it but what a nice carbin to shoot! And the tunned trigger by Bill Springfield made all the difference. I'll post target results as I shoot it more.