My new LMT shoots very well....

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sat May 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Tbag, thank you for your suggestions. BTW, I have 2 Bushnell scopes and love them both. One is probably circa mid 80s 3x9 that resides on my 7MM RemMag S&W (my first rifle) that has a non-brightness adjustable red dot/led at the center of the crosshairs that still works flawlessly. Here it is:

The Leatherwood CMR sparked my interest because of all the information displayed in it but of $100 less maybe another Busnell is the right answer. I'll keep reading.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun May 23, 2010 7:49 am

Which way did you go?

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 am

After talking to the SWFA experts and Leatherwood I ordered the CMR. I feel compeled to play with it since it's made specifically for the AR-15/223 round.

I'll report back once I receive it and use it.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Mon May 24, 2010 8:38 pm

The CMR arrived! Most excellent service by the SWFA personnel as I ordered on Thursday evening and the scope is in my hands today (Alabama).

First the bad news, I thought I had 30mm see through scope mounts but I don't. Hope to land a set by Friday, I hope.

The rest is all good news. The scope is surprisingly heavy duty so it feels rock solid (reminds me of the SWFA SS in a way), the glass is very clear in daylight (will try dusk capability in an hour or so), the green dot/horseshoe is strong and the crosshairs and other displayed info is clearly visible even to my tired eyes, the controls are user friendly, and last but not least the packaging the scope arrived in was A+, a small detail of professionalism that cannot, should not go unnoticed. Of course the proof's in the shooting so I will reserve judgment until the weekend but to those of us that claim that the made in China logo is a definite node of disapproval, I would say it appears that the Chinese are going by way of Japan, and I do remember the days when the Japanese products were considered much inferior to the made in the USA products only to eventually surpass us in practically every category.

A couple of pics of the scope half way mounted onto the LMT. It looks like it belongs and what's sweet is it allows me to also install this Sig flashlight/laser combo onto the rifle's flattop so there's no need for extra hand guard rails. I like it when things work out.

Dusk visibility, even at dark 30, is very good, as good as my naked eye. Only imperfection I've noticed is from the 5-11 settings there appears to be the ever slightest green reflection at about 10 o'clock in the glass. Nothing that'll annoy me and I'm one perfectionist. As far as I’m concerned it’s certainly thumbs up for this scope, and at this price it’s a no brainer.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 pm

More pics of fitting a Leatherwood scope onto my LMT. It took some doing to fit the laser flashlight AND the scope but now I have both short and long range capability.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Fri May 28, 2010 5:32 pm

Zeroed ar 25 yards, shot, and 10 rounds later all I can see is one dime size hole so where's the rest of my rounds going?

So far this Leatherwood scope is flawless but it's hot so when the sun goes down I'll do the 150 yard shoot.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Fri May 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Looks like it will work for you. While I own something similar, two points of observation I notice. Your scope seems to be set back pretty far for comfortable shooting. And it would seem your scope mount may be on backwards, although that really shouldn't matter too much if everything else is working for you.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sat May 29, 2010 7:42 am

Tbag, your observations are dead on, the mount/rings are installed backward because that was the only way to make the flashlight and laser apparatus fit, and even that took some doing. Since I took the pic I moved the scope as far forward as it'll go and it now fits me to a T.

But the jury's still out on the Leatherwood scope, I was all over the place with it at 150 yards, due to use of the black dot and probably my eyes, I believe I much prefer crosshairs for accuracy. I'll give it another go today. One thing I didn't like about it is that even at full setting, at daylight hours the greendot disappears so it's useless with the sun plus the green horseshoe/circle around the dot does not appear to be the same diameter and/or intensity all around which is a bit annoying.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sun May 30, 2010 7:40 am

Friends, yesterday evening I shot a bit more and obviously I am the weak link of this package. One can't do heavy lifting around the property all day long and expect to shoot well in the evening, I guess, but I had to cut/haul off trees and build this feeding platform for my barn cat. It was either that or kill the coon family of 5 that eat all of Nikos' food and leave him starving all week long.

Niko does appear to be happy now, it's amazing what a full belly wil do :lol:

But back to the main point of interest, this 1x4 tactical scope is more than decent for the money and would have no resevations in recommending it as a viable alternative to the high $ tacticals out there. Other than the green dot not showing up, at full sun, all else is spot on!