New AR-15

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

New AR-15

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:09 am

Here's a few photos of my new RRA's LAR-15 NM
20" heavy SS barrel, 8" twist
Turner synthetic sling
(sitting on the Plastix Plus AR-15 Gun Maintenance Center)
ImageImageImage
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:23 am

Looking good Hak, how does it shoot?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:39 am

Sweet, does that have the free floated front forearm? Should make a nice 600yd rifle.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:01 pm

The gun shoots great, it's the operator pulling the trigger that's the problem.
I am just starting to get a group at 50 and 100 yds with iron sights (see photos),
but I shot it with the "service rifle" group and am too embarrassed to show you those results.
Yes Tbag, it does have a free floating barrel, and I ordered it with a chromed bolt carrier assembly.
This rifle is a lot of fun, and I'm glad i bought it, it's just plain cool (even though the operator can shoot it well).
It amazes me how well some people in the service rifle group shoot, one guy had a 487 the other day.
Take off about 150 points and you'll have my score. :oops:
Last edited by Hakaman on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:39 am

Thats good marksmenship. Dont u have another AR?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:14 am

Thats good marksmenship. Dont u have another AR?
This is my one and only AR, Mr Nail. Of all my firearms, this has got to be the most fun to shoot, and that's saying alot, because all my guns are enjoyable to shoot. This is the ultimate in fire power, not that I'll ever need it, but I can see why it is the platform for service. I do plan on owning another, in what style, I'm not sure. It's like the 1911 system, parts seem to be quite interchangeable.
H

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:35 am

I love the stainless barrell. You don't see many w/ it. I dont own one yet but, I'm looking at about a year and a half on my schedule. I gotta rap up a few other things first.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks,
I like the ss barrel as well. I have mounted a 3x9 scope on it and it shoots very accurate, about .75" moa.
I joined the Service Rifle group and can't believe all the toys the shooters have. Today I kept score for the first time and had a 339 :oops:, %$#* ! Actually, it is an improvement over last week. The target looks awful small to these old eyes. My goal is to be a decent iron sight shooter, and am actually not disappointed with the score, it is what it is. Next week it will be better. I am planning on going down to camp perry in early august, maybe I'll get a few of them toys that help out. I like my rifle though, it's cool. 8)
Hak

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:32 am

Hak,

That rifle is a beauty! Enjoy!

Yleefox

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Mr fox,
thanks. This is a very enjoyable rifle to shoot, a well oiled machine, as they say. I joined our "service rifle league" to become a better skilled shooter with iron sights. Although I have improved, I don't compare to the skills present in some of the shooters there. We have had a couple shooters almost ace their score on service rifle league shooting. Not me though :oops:
hakaman

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Service rifle

Post by Pete D. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 am

We have had a couple shooters almost ace their score on service rifle league shooting.
Yeah. Those guys are almost magical. Your turn will come as you keep at it.
Good luck at Perry.
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:08 pm

It can take a little time to catch on to service rifle shooting. The best thing you can do is keep a scorebook. Use it to write down your sight settings and the environmental conditions each time you shoot a string. Later you can refer to your notes to get a thorough understanding of how your rifle works under varying conditions. Make friends with one of the more experienced SR shooters and they'll show you the ropes. Mostly the game is built upon your position. A solid, consistent, position means positive results.

What kind of trigger do you have in it?

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:56 am

What kind of trigger do you have in it?
Sorry it took so long, but, it's a RRA 2 stage match trigger. You are right, it takes a while to get use to the aspects of service rifle shooting. For example, I have adjusted the horizontal (windage) sight the wrong way during competition a few times, talk about rookie mistakes !
Hakaman

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:24 am

Turning the knobs the wrong way happens more times than you would think. Another common mistake is double-doping; setting the elevation knob twice for the same yard line. Or, the infamous forgetting to change the yardage settings at all. "Nice group, too bad they're not in the center instead of clustered at six o'clock in the eight ring!" Next there's the guy who can hold the gun but can't read the wind to save his life. He typically has a fist-sized cluster of spotters at a minute and a half to the right or left of the ten ring at 300. Then there's the fellow who can see the sights pretty clearly but just can't quite make out the number boards at the long line. "Mark target ten!"

Yep, you're right, there's a lot to learn. The fun part is experiencing it first hand. There's nothing so satisfying and yet frustrating at the same time as shooting high power service rifle - except maybe the game of golf!

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:10 am

I like it! I've heard nothing but good about RRA rifles. Sounds like you are having fun 8) Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association