1-4x scope

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

1-4x scope

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 pm

I'm thinking about putiing a 1-4x scope, preferably an illuminated retical, on my AR-15 (actually its a colt m16a1 my work rifle). does anyony have any reccomendations that won't break the bank and still be good quality.

It definitely has to have an illuminated reticle. the 1-4x is not set in stone but must e a low power or low power variable. A good deal is a must because there is noway I'll spend the $900 or so for the Leopold CQT that looks just about perfect. I already have a red dot on it and m not sure if I really like the dot.

any input would be great

greener

Post by greener » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:29 pm

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=432386

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=781290

http://www.combathunting.com/AR_15_M_16 ... sator.html

The $900 scopes look nice. But to bounce around in the back of your patrol cruiser? I'd rather you spent it on the M41 at Greentop. I'd be more than willing to take care of it for you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:54 pm

Gee thats mighty nice of you pops.

just tossing around the idea of the 1-4x the red dot is fast but I don't really like it for longer ranges and I tend to switch to the irons for 75yds and out. I was thinking the 1-4x would be good up close like the red dot and better longer shots at the 4x....

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:48 pm

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:25 pm

I ended up putting a Scout type mount on the carry handle, like this one. http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php? ... &mtrack=1m and forward mounted a red dot. I had to cut out part of the top rail to see the dot clearly (the part over the carry handle was a tunnel not a valley.....if that makes sense) but it lowered the optic so the same cheek weld used for the irons works for the dot. and when looking at the irons through the dot the dot sits right on top of the front post like dotting an "I" and it make the sights quick to pick up..

....I still like the idea of the 1-4x variable for this rifle... not now later maybe..... :roll:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:47 pm

The dot or reflex mounted on the 45 degree adapter works well at short range and will even hit a 2-1/2 shoonsee at 25 yards. Scope on top and the dot on the 45, good enough for a top shooter like Jerry Miculek, good enough for me.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:26 pm

I've handled a setup like that and I like it. I know it would work on a flattop (a3) not sure about the A1 with carry handle...
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:45 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:I've handled a setup like that and I like it. I know it would work on a flattop (a3) not sure about the A1 with carry handle...
I think it would do great with the red dot on the 45 degree mount. I think you said the scope is on the carry handle and you look through for the irons, got 3 sight systems that way.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.