new black gun of mine

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

new black gun of mine

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:00 am

Well here is my new black gun, just had to have one, same caliber as the REAL black guns but a slightly smaller cartridge case. Wanted to be the first to post in this new section, hope I made it. Image
Actually got jealous because my grandson has one, his Uncle Sam got it for him, he is a Navy Corpsman with the 1st Marine Division in Afghanistan, should be home in May.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:30 am

Nice setup. How does the red dot work off to the side? I assume it's for close quick work....

I hope your grandson makes it home safely.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:36 am

blue68f100 wrote:Nice setup. How does the red dot work off to the side? I assume it's for close quick work....

I hope your grandson makes it home safely.
Dot works fine for 10 yards and under and not bad at 25 yards either.About tennis ball accurate at 25 yard and it still needs to be zeroed in. Kind of awkward to zero the scope or reflex sight with that long mag in the way. Got a 10round mag yesterday and will get both sights zeroed tomorrow. When you cant the gun over the sight is pretty close to vertical over the center of the barrel. Need more gun time with it to get a definite opinion. If it works for Jerry Miikulek it should work for me, he uses the same setup for those run and gun shoots.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Well the weather was not very cooperative on Saturday, today was supposed to be a lot better but the sun did not come out and it was mid 40's and kind of windy. As a result we got the scope zeroed fairly well and the dot will have to wait for another day. The shallow butt stock on Black Gun II requires a spacer under the rear bag and I did not have enough to get a good rear rest but we did accomplish something and found out what ammo it likes. Shot the larger group with CCI Blazer after getting it close with 10 rounds on another bull, the tried the CCI Subsonics on other bull with the smaller group with no sight adjustments. Then headed for warmer areas.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Looks like fine shootin' for a cool and windy day. Better than I do when it's warm and calm...... :roll:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Have fun with that gun BAOM. And hope your grandson gets home safe!

Y

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:38 am

Yleefox wrote:Have fun with that gun BAOM. And hope your grandson gets home safe!

Y
If you feed them the ammo they like they will treat you well. Have found that in most of my .22LR guns1050 FPS works the best, as long as it is not Remington. Oldest son talked to the grandson a week or so ago and he is doing all right in Afghanistan, he should be back to his home base in San Diego in May. Grandson in law got back from Iraq early this month. Looks like no shooting for a week as we have winter storm warnings for most of the week ahead,

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Look at the target shot with the subsonic ammo, first 9 shots through the same raggedy hole. The 10th one shot a little low and the report is different as the bolt holds open on the last shot. My Remington 597 will pretty much do the same thing as it holds open on the last shot also. Got to be something about the bullet leaving the barrel with the breech op[en and getting a slight drop in pressure and velocity.