AR-15 research help.

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

TH3180

AR-15 research help.

Post by TH3180 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:08 pm

As some of you know I am fairly new to guns. I shot a gun for the 1st time on my 30th birthday, which was a year ago. Up to this point all I have are a few pistols. I now have the bug to get a rifle, I want to get an AR-15. I have been doing a ton of research for the last few weeks, I don’t feel like I am getting anywhere.
In my research I am running into “this brand is the only good brand because this is what I have and everything else is crap”. I have also found a lot of the only get the high end stuff because why would you trust anything else. I need some help in my research here. I am open to opinions and where to go to get info. There is so much out there I’m having trouble knowing where to start.
Here is where I have gotten so far. Any suggestions off of my wants, lets here them. If you are suggesting certain parts and/or brands. Links would help me a ton.

-This rifle will be for target practice, plinking and maybe coyote hunting in the future. I don’t plan on using it for self defense.

-I have a few friends that will let me shoot on there land. So I want to keep it as light as possible. Because I may be carrying it for long walks.

-I would like to put a Red Dot on it. Maybe even scope it down the line. I also want the option of using iron sights. From what I have learned I want a flattop/A3. I already have a Bushnell red dot with rings I could put on to start with.

-1:9 twist so I can shoot 55g bullets. I plan on reloading for this riffle.

-16” barrel. That comes full circle to keeping it light.

-I don’t want a carry handle. I plain old don’t like the look of them.

-I would like an adjustable stock. I am short and my main shooting buddy is tall.

-From everything I have read I want a gas block not a piston system. I’m not sure why.

-Budget is right around $1000

-I am thinking I would like to buy an upper and lower separate. Spread out the cost a little.

-I want to put a muzzle break on it instead of a flash hider. Once again full circle to the 16” barrel anything shorter I won’t be able to change what’s on the end of the barrel.

-I don’t feel I need to go super high end but I also don’t want a rifle that I spend more time trying to get it to shoot, then shooting it.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Tim
"Ballons make evryone feel better" My son Tyler while getting a ballon for his baby sister when she was in the hospital

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:57 pm

take a look at bushmaster, smith and wesson, or rock river arms they have a lot of toys that match your needs, but any quality AR built to milspec will meet your needs. if you want an upper or take a look at model1 sales they have all sorts of fun stuff........
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Based on your desires, you're right on with a flattop, 16in barrel, standard gas system, adj stock, mil-spec style barrel, and 1-9. I agree with what bgreen had to say, all of those brands should give you good service, but there are plenty of others that will work well too. BTW, a good used rifle should serve you well too.

My first, AR-15 I assembled from parts and pieces, to spread out the cost and also to help me better understand the function and design of the firearm. You might consider this avenue.

I reload for my AR-15 and all I will add concerning this, is to make sure you have adjusted your resizing die to sufficiently size your brass so it will function in your AR. That was the most frustrating thing for me to deal with, mostly I think, because all the other bottleneck cartridges I reload are used in bolt guns where this is not so much an issue.

Good luck

Yleefox

mkIII1022

Post by mkIII1022 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:37 pm

1000 dollars in my area would buy a colt used from a gun shop.
why pay the same price for lower quality when you can buy a better built rifle and yes there is a difference.
my top 3 daniel defense, bcm, and colt,
i built a ddm4 for 889 2 years ago. i bought all daniel defense parts.
dont buy a rock river arms cause its what the dea uses.
quality can be passed down cheap will be passed on. please imnot bashing but i have had a few and while its true it may hold up dont just buy for the sake of having an ar15. bush masters quality is concern. look at pictures of gas key staking on google. 1 in 7 twist barrel will shoot 55 grain all the way up. reasearch a little more.
www.m4carbine.net
www.ar15armory.com :D

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:28 pm

I own a RRA AR-15, very nice rifle. I think this would suit your needs:
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=230
Haka