Need One?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 pm

You could go all out and get an FN SCAR. It would do some damage to your bank account though.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Georgezilla wrote:You could go all out and get an FN SCAR. It would do some damage to your bank account though.
Not a problem. Ms. Greener has a job and will do anything to make me happy.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 pm

greener wrote:
Georgezilla wrote:You could go all out and get an FN SCAR. It would do some damage to your bank account though.
Not a problem. Ms. Greener has a job and will do anything to make me happy.
What you making in the reloading room besidesd ammo, corn squeezing or medicak grass?????
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:51 pm

Spent some time boring a young man behind the counter looking at Greentop's selection of AR's. The M&P 15 sport looks like a reasonably priced AR type. Hard to tell with all the tinker-toy parts. Had heart palpitations at GT's ammo prices.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Spent too much time at the gun show this weekend. Lot's of choices and lot's of prices. Loads of fun looking at all the toys.

DPMS

Range trip is a week away

It's been 25-30 years since I field stripped one of these things and I actually remembered how.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Well, well, well, you went over to the "Dark Side" padawan! (Pardon the cheesy Star Wars reference there) Nice looking carbine you got there Greener.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:52 pm

Tough decisions. Hi-Point .45 ACP carbine for $289, Kriss Vector .45 ACP carbine $1750 and all the black rifles at any price you wanted to pay.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:24 pm

Made it to the range. The DPMS shot well, just didn't know where the bullets were going. Got badly outshot by a Hi-Point 9mm carbine and me with an M&P9 and Ruger SR9.

My UTG sights were a tad off. It was shooting about 3' high at 25 yards. I think, I just guestimated it using aimpoint and hitpoint on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. The sight base is 13 inches, so I need to move the front sight up 0.5 inches. Looking for another front sight or an addition that will move the sight up half an inch.

Wasn't a lot better with the BSA red dot. Boresighter on order to fix that. Found one I couldn't wing.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:06 am

Yankee Hill Machine makes a 3 slot mini riser for the AR which is 1/2" tall. These companies have them in stock Bravo Company
YHM Mini

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks.

I should have done the trig at the range and verified the height estimate on a really short sight base. While I was being so smart and knowing all about sight adjustments :oops: The guy shooting the Hi-Point didn't have much of a clue. He was taking lessons from a guy shooting black powder, but he really didn't need to know much. Out of the box he and the Hi Point were doing a fine job of chewing up the X-Ring.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 pm

.223 laser borsighter came in today. The red dot was way, way off the boresight laser. Got it adjusted in. Played around with the iron sight and got it almost right about the time the sight post unscrewed all the way.

I emailed DPMS this weekend and got a response today. Their response was to get a gas block front sight or adjust the sight post counter clockwise. I've now learned that "gas block" indicates the lower rail like I have and sights made to fit that configuration are "gas block" front sights. Manufacturer's descriptions seem to vary from that a bit. Learning the terminology and the ins and outs of these things are almost as much fun as shooting them and almost as cheap.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:16 pm

the gas block is the fixture at nearly the end of the bbl, that the gas is sent backk along the gas tube to the bolt carrier group to recyle the action after each shot, in your old M16 days it was that funny looking triangle thingie (technical term) the front sight was on.

your BUIS (Back up iron sights) fron sight was probably intended to go on a free float tube foreend with a top picatinny rail, so on the gas block it would be too short. a higher front sight post or a riser should fix it.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks, I almost remember the function of the gas block on the A1, I was a half-colonel when the A2's were in the unit and field grade types are reputed not to know much.

When I bought the sights, I asked the sight dealer (not the gun dealer) about fitting the oracle and he said yes. So I didn't think much about it. I've emailed DPMS and they said "gas block" sight, indicating a for the lower gas block. Leepers (UTG) says

1. If the gas block rail is lower than the foregrip/receiver rail, what is the difference in height?
Leapers has front sights for the AR platform for gas blocks that are .28 inches lower than the foregrip/receiver rail height.
We also have front sights that are the same height as the rear sight for applications that have the same picatinny rail height.

2. If the difference is greater than .28 inches we have risers with .5, .83, and 1.0 inches of height. Please visit our website at www.leapers.com where you may view the risers, One of these may provide the proper difference depending on your specific dimensions.

So, I guess I need to measure the difference in height or just buy the front sight from DPMS, since there are multiple heights.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:43 pm

greener wrote:Thanks, I almost remember the function of the gas block on the A1, I was a half-colonel when the A2's were in the unit .
And what wa the other half??????
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:51 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:Thanks, I almost remember the function of the gas block on the A1, I was a half-colonel when the A2's were in the unit .
And what wa the other half??????
I was never too sure.

Both Lieutenant Colonel and Colonel are referred to as Colonel. They are also sometimes very informally referred to as half colonel and full colonel