Bullseye/New AR

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Bullseye/New AR

Post by boomer47 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:08 am

Bullseye,
I bought a new RRA NM a month or so ago and have been trying to get up to speed with it.
First time at the range it was short stroking with Win.Q3131 but ran just fine with Monarch 55 gr. Had a slight gas leak forward of the gas block on top of the barrel.
I replaced the front sight/gas block with a low profile block and mounted a scope. It's running fine now with anything I put in it.
Like you, I put 3/4lb. of lead shot in the A-2 stock and lightly greased the spring. No "sprong" now and it balances better.
The whole rig weighs 13lbs. with a full 20 round mag. so it's not for hunting, just bench work.
I'm just starting to reload some ammo for it. You have any pet loads for a 68gr. Hornady HPBT with H333, W748 or TAC powder? (20 in.,1-8 barrel).
My Ruger MK's are on the back burner right now since I got a CZ .17HMR and the AR-15 to play with.

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 05, 2007 5:04 pm

Jack that Wilson 1-8 barrel will love the heavier bullets. I typically use Varget in my .223 loads but you could use 24.5 grains of W-748 with the Sierra 68's and get a real nice shooting load at about 2,850fps. My best pet load with 68's and Varget is 24.9 grains.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat May 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Bullsye,
I thought I had edited my post but now I see that I made a mistake on the H333, should have been H335.
The TAC powder looks like it should make up a good load but who knows what will be best in particular rifle.
I looked for Varget around here but have not found any so far. The hazmat and shipping drives the price of a pound of powder up so high that it's hard to justify ordering online.
I'm going on a trip up to Kentucky(home)in a few weeks and will hit Whittaker's Guns and pick up some Varget and try your load.
I already see that this rifle will outshoot me with factory loads but I still like to handload up a few just to make sure.(a little cheaper too ,seeing I already have the reloading equipment)
I have 20 rounds loaded with 25gr. W-748,Fed205 primers and the Hornady 68 grain hpbt that Ill try next week.I'll let you know how they and Varget turns out after I get some loaded up.
Thanks for the tip.

R,Jack