ar 15 build

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

User avatar
Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host
Posts: 6371
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: USA

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:00 pm

There's obviously a mistake on the specifications they provided. Which has the mistake, I don't know but they do conflict. I downloaded their .pdf installation document and pulled the spring weight chart from it. It could be that after the installation, with all the factory trigger springs included, the overall trigger weight is increased but they should indicate that in the charts. I hope the assembly makes the CMP/DCM limit as this looks like a good style of trigger. It costs about the same as the other aftermarket trigger groups on the retail market today. Looking forward to hearing your measurements after installation.

R,
Bullseye
Image

User avatar
gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:14 am

Post by gcp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:27 pm

I hate to do this but here's a link with what I believe to be helpful info, 'till I can give you my own perspective...not that mine will be more valid.....
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528736
gcp

Courageous we stand!

User avatar
gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:14 am

Post by gcp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:31 pm

Great trigger, and I still love its engineering. Without springs it breaks at 4lbs. With the black springs it measures 2lb 10oz and with the blue springs it's 3lbs 15oz, so apparently their chart is correct.

Bullseye, tomorrow I'll call the company and enquire if additional springs can be produced to bump it up to 4.5lbs or greater but due to the design, and that's why I measured without springs, I kind of doubt it. I'll let you know.

Only con I can think of is the travel which I can adjust out if I so choose.
Image
Image

My modified stock trigger. This one also turned out very nice so, if money is an issue I'd highly recommend the 15 min AR trigger mod over any aftermarket but be aware of the surface hardening limitations.
Image
Last edited by gcp on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
gcp

Courageous we stand!

User avatar
bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:35 pm
Location: SW Michigan

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:43 pm

Hmmm that trigger looks interesting..... my build is on hold right now other priorities have come up that my spare cash has gone to, that and I'm waiting on prices to return to pre-panic before I get anything else.

I have been looking at PSA and their stuff looks quite good. I'm torn between getting a complete upper and a stripped unit and putting it together myself (just because).
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

User avatar
gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:14 am

Post by gcp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 pm

PSA is tops in my book. A bit slow on delivery but CS is A1 and their products are A1+. I would not hesitate ordering anything I needed from them!
gcp

Courageous we stand!

User avatar
Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:35 pm

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:13 pm

bg, based on my observations, component prices are about normal now. Last week I got a BCM BCG for slightly under retail. Not sure about complete lowers, uppers, and rifles though. I did see a basic RRA for about $900, seems like a normal price to me.

Here's my thoughts on building an upper vs. buying a complete one: The disadvantage to buying a complete upper is that it likely wont be exactly what you want. The advantages to buying a complete lower are 1) You don't have to spend time building it. Although I actually really enjoyed building the upper, so this is an advantage or disadvantage, depending on perspective. 2) No need to buy/borrow a torque wrench, armorer's wrench, and receiver vise (I don't think this is true if you plan on doing multiple builds though because you will make up the money for the tool investment; you save money doing the build yourself). 3) You know a factory assembled upper with a factory BCG will be head spaced correctly (however rare on a LEGO AR upper build, there still is a possibility for head space issues).

User avatar
gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:14 am

Post by gcp » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:58 am

Sorry for the mix-up this post belongs here:

And there's the beauty of the PSA upper I bought for $409 total, it was exactly what I wanted. i.e. an FN M4 barrel but with a floating hand guard, correctly head spaced and proof shot. BCG was and extra $150, a Spikes tactical with the spider on its side which made my wife smile and comment "how cute is this", a win-win if you ask me. Not saying I wouldn't put an upper together from scratch because I would/will, probably.
gcp

Courageous we stand!

User avatar
Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host
Posts: 6371
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: USA

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:09 am

Looks like a good report on that trigger group. I was concerned about that pull weight, looks like my concerns were valid. Perhaps they will come out with another version that meets service rifle standards for trigger weight. The design looks sound. I'll bet it has a crisp let-off, which is a concern for most target shooters.

R,
Bullseye
Image

User avatar
Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:35 pm

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:35 pm

gcp wrote:Sorry for the mix-up this post belongs here:

And there's the beauty of the PSA upper I bought for $409 total, it was exactly what I wanted. i.e. an FN M4 barrel but with a floating hand guard, correctly head spaced and proof shot. BCG was and extra $150, a Spikes tactical with the spider on its side which made my wife smile and comment "how cute is this", a win-win if you ask me. Not saying I wouldn't put an upper together from scratch because I would/will, probably.
Nice! Glad they had just what you were looking for. I checked all the major makers and none of them had just what I wanted. RRA came pretty close, but it wasn't exact and their lead times for uppers/lowers are pretty long these days.

User avatar
gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:14 am

Post by gcp » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:28 pm

Bullseye wrote:.......I was concerned about that pull weight, looks like my concerns were valid. Perhaps they will come out with another version that meets service rifle standards for trigger weight.

R,
Bullseye
Bullseye, have no fear George is here :lol: So, here's the scoop from the man himself, Terry, who's the owner of Hiperfire and the inventor of the Hipertouch trigger. He told me that mid August, or there about, he expects to release the next two trigger generations, the Elite and the Competition, the later of which will break at a bit above 4.5lbs with adjustment. Tailor made for you CMP/DMC types so be patient.
gcp

Courageous we stand!

User avatar
Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host
Posts: 6371
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: USA

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:33 pm

All they really need to do is slightly modify the hammer sear mating angles to a little more of a negative engagement. Good to hear that they've started designing some model variants. Too bad they didn't think of this heavier version prior to the National Service Rifle matches as they probably would have sold a ton of them at Perry.

R,
Bullseye
Image

User avatar
gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:14 am

Post by gcp » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Yes, but I think he's going a different route with the C. Take a look at his web page he explains it better than I can.
gcp

Courageous we stand!

User avatar
bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:35 pm
Location: SW Michigan

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Georgezilla wrote:bg, based on my observations, component prices are about normal now. Last week I got a BCM BCG for slightly under retail. Not sure about complete lowers, uppers, and rifles though. I did see a basic RRA for about $900, seems like a normal price to me.

Here's my thoughts on building an upper vs. buying a complete one: The disadvantage to buying a complete upper is that it likely wont be exactly what you want. The advantages to buying a complete lower are 1) You don't have to spend time building it. Although I actually really enjoyed building the upper, so this is an advantage or disadvantage, depending on perspective. 2) No need to buy/borrow a torque wrench, armorer's wrench, and receiver vise (I don't think this is true if you plan on doing multiple builds though because you will make up the money for the tool investment; you save money doing the build yourself). 3) You know a factory assembled upper with a factory BCG will be head spaced correctly (however rare on a LEGO AR upper build, there still is a possibility for head space issues).
georgezilla, you nailed it right on the head... I might want to piece it together "just 'cause" or get an upper just to finish it up....

... three little kids at home makes the process of building anything slower :D
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

User avatar
Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host
Posts: 6371
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: USA

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:16 am

Looking at the Hiperfire products page the 24C would not be a legal modification for service rifle competition despite the manufacturer identifying it as CMP compatible. Since the 24C has a straight profile and an adjustable trigger shoe it would be illegal for use in CMP service rifle competition. The rules state the external appearance of the rifle may not be altered from an "as issued" state or function. If the 24E version truly goes up to 4.5 lbs it looks as if it would qualify as a valid CMP service rifle trigger due to the trigger's external profile and function being very similar to an "as issued" trigger. These guys need to do a little more research before they launch these products.

R,
Bullseye
Image

User avatar
gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:14 am

Post by gcp » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Bullseye wrote:.....These guys need to do a little more research before they launch these products.

R,
Bullseye
I agree 100%!
gcp

Courageous we stand!

Post Reply