Red dot for an AR-15?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Red dot for an AR-15?

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:17 am

My friend is looking for a red dot for his AR-15, but he doesn't know a lot about them, nor do I for rifles. He also doesn't have internet access (his house is out of range by 15 feet for DSL/Cable :roll: ).

He wants a large tube diameter, he said larger than 1". He'd like to keep the price under around $300.
He'll be grateful for any advice, thanks!

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:33 pm

If he can go a little more than $300, the best sight for the money IMHO is an EOTech. I have a 511 on my S&W MP15A SBR and I love it. 511s can be had usually for around $350 or so.
Another alternative, if he wants to stay on the inexpensive side, is a Tasco Pro Point. I've used them and they're OK, just not anything near the quality and performance of an EOTech. The Tascos go for about $130.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:39 am

Like my Aimpoint and to me a good selling point is that it will run like two years on one battery. Eotechs are very nice too.

Don't discount the Ultra Dots, tough as nails and just over $100 bucks.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:18 am

Thanks for the advice! He said he will probably go with an EOTech 552.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:01 am

The choice has been between Aimpoint and EOTech for a while now. I personally have always used the Aimpoints because Pat Rodgers proved them to be reliable in his training classes which put all components to the test. There has been a recall of some of the EOTech models which is probably resolved as they are a fine sight, but I would investigate prior to buying one. Regards