AR chambered in 7.62x39?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

AR chambered in 7.62x39?

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:02 pm

Does anyone make them? If so are they decent and how hard are parts to get for them.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:27 pm

Just curious. Why the choice of 7.62 x 39 when AR's are available in other more popular calibers alrdy?
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 pm

DPMS and a few other manufacturers make an AR in 7.62x39. http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/slideshow.aspx?id=24 The caliber suffers from reliability issues based around finding magazines that function properly.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:16 pm

Jaeger, I'm considering getting an AR for two reasons: One, to have a high powered rifle for new shooters to try when they come to the range with me. So it would be nice if it didn't cost me a whole lot to let people shoot it, which is why I was thinking about 7.62x39 - the ammo is pretty cheap.
The main reason is that I fear the worst after we get someone new in office (Better to be safe than sorry right?). I enjoy shooting pistols a lot more than rifles, and I don't really see myself wanting to get real good with rifles, however; that doesn't mean I won't want to shoot it a lot. I just don't see the need for an overly accurate cartridge that costs more than the 7.62x39 if I don't plan on getting into rifles that much.

I thought that magazines would be in issue one way or another. Looks like if I get an AR it will be .223 or .308.

Is there another decent rifle out there that looks like the AR that is chambered in 7.62x39? I really like the way AR's looks :oops:
If there isn't anything else out there like I want I guess I'll just pay more for my ammo :?

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:20 am

Georgezilla, if you just want a blaster in 7.62x39, you can't beat a good AK47. They don't look like an AR but they are relatively cheap, reliable as any rifle made and the mags are readily available. Another option might be a Ruger Mini-30. Again, it doesn't look like an AR but they are reliable also. 30-round mags for them are a bit on the expensive side, however. With a few add-ons, you can make a Mini look a whole lot like an M1A.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

On 7.62s

Post by gcp » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:23 am

I've owned in the past one AK (Romanian), and one SKS (Yugo). I could not get them to shoot as accurately as I would have liked, to include my own reloads, so I got rid of them. It's probably their design which is not conducive to pin-point accuracy.

I LOVE my AR on the other hand.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: On 7.62s

Post by jaeger45 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:10 am

gcp wrote:I've owned in the past one AK (Romanian), and one SKS (Yugo). I could not get them to shoot as accurately as I would have liked, to include my own reloads, so I got rid of them. It's probably their design which is not conducive to pin-point accuracy.
I LOVE my AR on the other hand.
You hit it right on the head!!!

As I said in my post on the subject in another forum where i quoted above posts (which I snipped away here for brevity)---
KIMBER45 wrote:7.62X39MM CARTRIDGE

The 7.62x39mm cartridge is easily the most "popular" cartridge in the world today- "popular" in the sense that it is the most widely-used cartridge in all continents where there is a full-scale war or just civil unrest and shooting is going on. It is the cartridge used in the ubiquitous AK-47 which is used whether it is a war between countries or a war between rival gangs.

As a consequence, the cartridge is found everywhere and in huge quantities that it is one of the cheapest ammo now available.

I came across the following post by somebody looking for an AR- an automatic or assault rifle chambered in 7.62x39. Obviously, he does not have much faith in the AK-47. Come to think of it, the AK was not really built for accuracy but for reliability under the most adverse conditions and still be able to deliver a large volume of fire with reasonable accuracy.
http://progunfilipino.20.forumer.com/vi ... 07681#5007

I also have an AK clone in .223 and an SKS in the original 7.62x39, both Chinese. They shoot well enough to hit the target, but as you observed, no pin-point accuracy. In short, just for blasting and spraying while on the assault.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate