1911 hammer stut

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

overdose

1911 hammer stut

Post by overdose » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 am

Hello, I am new to this forum and just have one quick question for now. I need to purchase a hammer strut and bushing wrench for a 1911. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can purchase without paying more for shipping then the items cost? Thanks in advance.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:07 pm

Welcome to GunTalk-Online!

For the strut I would just go with a brand that is known to produce quality parts: Wilson Combat, Ed Brown and Les Baer are a few good choices.

I assume you want the wrench for a Government size pistol. Remember that Government and Commander 1911's have different sized bushings. I prefer a plastic bushing wrench that is a bit on the thin side. Plastic to not scratch the finish, thin because I find it makes it easier to push down on the bushing while using the wrench. The one I use has no brand name. I purchased it at a gun store. I just asked to see all the bushing wrenches they had in stock and picked the thinnest one that I felt was still sturdy enough.

overdose

Post by overdose » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks, where is a good spot online to order 1911 parts. shipping was more than the parts I was ordering at Midway.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:22 pm

I usually use: Midway, Brownells or Numrich -- I find they all have comparable shipping costs. Typically I just wait until I order enough items to warrant the shipping cost.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Midway does have a "small parts handling fee" for orders under $25 -- I think the fee is something like $3. I'm not sure if Brownells or Numrich have a similar fee.