What SD ammo do you use?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

What SD ammo do you use?

Post by Hakaman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm

I just purchased some self defense ammo today for my Kahr PM-9, Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip Expanding Box of 25.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=388966
I shot 5 rounds of it, flawlessly, and loaded 5 more for keeps. This stuff looks like it would "leave a mark" on whatever it hits (ouch!!!).
Question, what SD ammo do use keep in your gun?
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:25 pm

I'm using the Hornady CD ammo too. It's a real soft shooting ammo. Makes it quick on the 2nd shot. It does not meet the FBI spec, but close 10" vs 12" min. But should be plenty good for Home Defense since your not shooting through cars.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:11 pm

In the back up gun, Hornady JHP/XTP 90 grain. In either of the primary guns: Winter time ammo is CorBon PoerBall , I believe 2000 grain, all other times Fe4reral 230 grain Hydra Shok.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:47 am

EDC - Walther PPS-9
9mm+P, 124 grain Gold Dots are generally in the carry mag(6x+1x), and some other commercial HP round in the reload mag(8x) ... currently I think it is MagTech Guardian in the reload, and about time to expend them and swap for some HST or something.
Gold Dots feed in everything I have in 9mm, so when I see my preferred load, I buy some and expend some of the carried stuff, the stash gets a little bigger every time.
"Something Else" in the reload for two reasons:
-1-Isolate failures in every way possible ... new mag, new ogive, different date added to the CC rig, different amount of time exposed to oils, different type of powder ... basically, every parameter that I can swap with a magazine swap gets changed
-2-If Gold Dots didn't do the job for whatever reason, something else might!

Kel-Tec p32 (On the rare occasions I pack my mousegun)
Screw it, it is a .32, all I'm going to get is penetration, and I can't afford to compromise that ... so I carry hot ball ammo that feeds in the gun (7x+1x), and another ball ammo in the reload (10x) for similar reasons.
Given a supply of HP ammo and some time for testing, I might swap the mag in the gun for a HP round.

On a side note ... Does Federal make EFMJ in .32acp? If so, is it any good?

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:17 am

I too use the Hornady in my pm-9, no hic-ups to date.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:09 am

In my new SIG 9mm, Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP

In my .357, Winchester Silvertips

In my .45, 185gr JHP handloads. I need to go buy some commercial SD ammo for the .45 to CMA legally.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Tbag (I like the name :2ar15: ),
How do you like your PM-9 ? The more I have exposure to the gun, the better I like it. Great trigger on it, and very accurate for a pocket gun. Even I can shoot it accurately (7 yards). I chews up any ammo I put into it, like the Hornady Critical Defense.
Haka

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Hak, I've shot hundreds of rounds of all different types through my pm and let's say it's been very good to me. Trigger is smooth, slides in a pocket without issue and carries IWB holster like it's not even there. Accurate is an understatement as it really does put it where you aim it, not bad for a two and half finger gun.

If I don't have this one then it's usually a Browning HP with me. But the pm is the usual stable of defense these days.