Ruger Blackhawk Convertable

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:52 pm

I got my new grips for my Blackhawk Convertable. After the standard fitting and drilling they seemed to fit very well. I ordered these from
http://www.buffalobrothers.net/grips/ruger_grips.htm
Here are a few pictures:
ImageImageImage

greener

Post by greener » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Excellent

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Beautiful! Almost too nice to shoot.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Bullseye wrote:Beautiful! Almost too nice to shoot.

R,
Bullseye
Looks good , pard, now you got to get some nice leather with studs and conchos and jewels to carry it in and might as well buy another one for the other sside. Something like Roy or Gene would have used.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks for the comps
Haka

ps.....lol about the western look. I do like that look though.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Those are very nice. I would be scared to scratch them.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:56 am

Very pretty!

BAOM's idea of the western holster is one way to go, but I'm not into the whole movie cowboy thing, so I got a KKK Cheyenne. Molded to fit the BH, but understated with no bling. Just a well made, heavily built and durable holster on a drop-loop belt with a hammer loop and a leg tie.

Sort of a "working cowboy" holster.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:08 pm

That's a beauty, not real flashy, but gets the job done.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012656221561a.shtml
this is a nice set up as well:
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/ ... 127a.shtml\
"now we're talking"
http://www.frontiergunleather.com/catal ... ucts_id=30
Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Here are a couple pics of my "new" RBHC after some gunsmithing.
Really, the only noticeable item is the fib opt front sights, besides the boots, but they don't count.ImageImage
Rugeralong

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Single action revolver, cowboy boots....hmmm

You are on a slippery slope. Another SA revolver, lever gun, shot gun and a few more duds and you will be ready for CAS.

Of course you need to work on the name: Outlaw Josie Rugeralong works.

These folks seem to have fun

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:41 pm

The day at the range was not good, and was short. I had significant work done on my Ruger BHC, but some problems arose. 1)The GS gave it a trigger job, and now the firing pin is "light striking". It won't set off the primer approx 30% of the time. I know the reasons for a lighter strike, but in this case, he went too far. He asked what kind of primers I use, CCI in this case, and he told me they were one of the harder primers to fire. None the less, he is going to give it a stronger hammer strike. He told me he put a 15lb spring (leaf spring?) in it, and is going to change it to a 17lb. 2) He also put a stronger spring in the Base Pin Assy, and it doesn't seem to be lined up properly, as I can't get the pin to go into the cylinder, which doesn't allow me to install the cylinder. 3)While putting on the front fiber optic front sight, he scratched the bluing on the side of the front sight. I mentioned all the problems to him today, and he told me to bring it to him tomorrow and he would take care of it.
I then put the Ruger away and pulled out the Glock 34, I have a new KKM custom barrel installed, a drop in. At 20 feet, all the shots are 3" left of center, with the rear sights all the way to the right! I'm beyond frustrated right now, and pack it away and go home. I think I'm going to send the barrel back to KKM and see what they say.
I'm ready to sell both guns, any takers?
Desperate in Detroit, Haka I'm #$!^'d :x

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Sorry to hear you had a bad day at the range. It seams to be common practice to install reduced power springs to lighten the trigger. It can be a mixed blessing. I shoot regularly and change hammer springs every 1500 rounds, springs are cheap. I will start getting light hammer strikes around 2500-3000 fires. Mine is a carry gun so it must preform when needed. The std factory spring is 5 lbs heaver but it really makes the DA heavy. Since I keep accurate logs I know when it's time to replace the spring. All home defense ammo uses the light strike primers so they will go off easily.

I was able to get Wolf SP primers a while back without limits on quanity. This allowed me to spread out the hazmat fee. Wolf is also know for having a hard cap too.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

hutchman

Post by hutchman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:24 pm

I am not a fan of reduced pressure main springs. I believe they cause light strikes like you experienced and increase lock time, which decreases accuracy.

Instead, I modify all my Ruger Single Action trigger springs via the following method:

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

No need to spend money on aftermarket springs, this method reduces the trigger pull as needed.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:12 am

Sounds like a day that went rapidly downhill. I shoot both CCI and Winchester primers and have only had 4-5 to fail. I believe all those were Winchester primers. I'm not convinced it wasn't a problem with me seating the primer.

I've been toying with the idea of playing with springs in my Blackhawks and Single Six. I'd love for all of them to have about the same (lighter) trigger. Hutchman's springbending trick may be worth trying.