J frame springs

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

J frame springs

Post by radio » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Last week I bought another Airweight (642) to use for a CCW--brand new for $425 which is a fine price around here. I have an older one (pre +p) with exposed hammer in a quick safe by the bed--got 2 young kids.

I don't really have a problem with the trigger pulls on either, but have been wondering about aftermarket springs. My wife rarely shoots, but would probably benefit from lighter/smoother trigger pulls.

I've also seen mentioned just to dry fire with snap caps MANY times or polish up surfaces with the mechanism to make things loosen up. Honestly, I would probably never fool with spring mods on a CCW, but just looking for opinions.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:58 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online.

On a personal protection gun it is best not to lighten the trigger pull. If excited, like in a defensive situation, a heavier trigger the better as adrenaline will be coursing through your system. Easy to have an unintended discharge under those circumstances. Granted you wouldn't draw unless you were threatened but firing before you're ready may not be a desirable outcome.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Radio Welcome to Guntalk-Online

Snap caps will help and wold be more benificial with the use of a laser. The laser will give you feed back on gun movement as you squeeze the trigger. Do not get in the habit of staging the trigger, it's a very bad habit and hard to break. You want one smooth squeeze from start to finish. You will get to a point where you can squeeze if off fast without changing your POI.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Bullseye and blue, I agree with both of you. I have just installed a CT laser grip on one J Frame and hope to play with it some to make sure I can make it work for me. If I like it (and the wife) I'll get another set for her J Frame as well.

I can certainly see how the laser grips help "train" you to shoot better without even firing a live round.

Speaking of snap caps, where would be a good place to order some?

thank you

greener

Post by greener » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:35 pm

The trigger smooths out and improves with use. Either that or the trigger finger bulks up.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:17 am

I like the TrippleK brand over the AZoom snap caps. The KKK brands has a spring loaded primer where the AZoom are solid Al. The reason why was in my BHP with it's strong hammer spring (32#) it would drive the azoom in to the chamber till it rolled the brass/bullet edge. If the round has a flange it may not make any difference. The KKK are red in color where the azoom is some odd color that is close to a real round at a quick glance. I just pick mine up form the local gun shops.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 am

thanks again greener and blue--I'll check with the local shops