Home Protection

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:01 pm

If the first 5 rounds don't put the BG down, the next 12 rounds will most likely still be in the gun when the stuff you in the body bag.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:38 pm

bearandoldman wrote:If the first 5 rounds don't put the BG down, the next 12 rounds will most likely still be in the gun when the stuff you in the body bag.
Aaayup. At defensive distances if you haven't hit the BG by round 5, he is going to be taking up your space.

If it is mechanical, it will fail. A primer is going to fail and the powder may not burn, assuming they didn't fail to put it in the bullet. You are betting that the probability of any failure is very small. Revolvers seem to be less likely to have mechanical failure because they have fewer moving parts. If the first round doesn't fire you only have to work the trigger to get round two into battery and out the barrel.

I'm not all that concerned about semi-autos. I have 4 I'm pretty sure will go bang when I pull the trigger and I'm on my way to find out about #5.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:39 pm

My 6 Semis are reliable but I still believe in Murphy

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:59 pm

that's why a handgun is shaped like a club...

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 pm

My 6 Semis are reliable but I still believe in Murphy
that's why a handgun is shaped like a club...
Good points, and funny too :lol:

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Always love these type of threads and appreciate everybody's points of view. I have owned a few semi autos and still have 3, but 2 are unloaded in the gun closet. Call me a ninnie, but I've gone back to revolvers for my CCW and first line home defense. I've NEVER owned a semi that didn't have at least an occasional FTF or FTE. On the other hand, I've NEVER pulled the trigger on any of my S&W airweights where there wasn't a corresponding BOOM. Crimson Trace in low light conditions are outstanding IMO.

MAYBE, I could overcome a problem with a semi, but there's no way my wife could. She occasionally fires her revolver and does well with it. Simple. That's why I have an airweight snubby in the bedroom and another identical airweight at the other end of the house in the kitchen. No surprises for her or me--just the BG.

I would probably use the airweight to get to the 870 youth 20 gauge with mucho buckshot behind the bedroom door OR to the the 870 12 gauge another door down with mucho mas buckshot. At 47" overall length the 12 would most likely be used for outdoor issues only. I hunt with the 20 youth somewhere around 100 days each year so its almost like a third (very loud) arm to me. Shotguns are BAD NEWS for bad guys.

My job has me gone for 24 hours every 3rd day (for the past 21 years). We live on a little acreage between cities where the nearest deputy isn't an option. I do like the look and feel and function of many semis (especially the Glock), but WE both trust the .38s to get us through the mess.

The semi auto that I do trust to always function is a Beretta 21A, but it doesn't fit in with this particular thread.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:26 pm

I do like the look and feel and function of many semis (especially the Glock), but WE both trust the .38s to get us through the mess.
Good points, thanks. I wonder how extensive the usage is of the Glock handgun, how many police and service organizations that actually depend on it?
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Hakaman wrote:
I do like the look and feel and function of many semis (especially the Glock), but WE both trust the .38s to get us through the mess.
Good points, thanks. I wonder how extensive the usage is of the Glock handgun, how many police and service organizations that actually depend on it?
Haka
Lots of LEO's carry the Glock as an issue service firearm, but what do most of them and I mean over 90% , most likely carry for a backup? A J frame. I was just looking at one at the loacal shop on the way hiome from the range.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Lots of LEO's carry the Glock as an issue service firearm, but what do most of them and I mean over 90% , most likely carry for a backup? A J frame. I was just looking at one at the loacal shop on the way hiome from the range.
A "backup" is the key word here. If it's a backup, there must be a gun in front of it. Oh, that's right, a Glock!
Haka
Last edited by Hakaman on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 pm

When it comes to LE dept firearms, it's the bean counters who shop price that make most decisions.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:16 pm

perazzi wrote:When it comes to LE dept firearms, it's the bean counters who shop price that make most decisions.
There is a whole lot of truth in that statement