Millett rear sight on MKI will not allow enough elevation

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm

Tigerbeetle wrote:Okay, if you say so. I will get out my slide rule, uh, I think I sold that in a garage sale about 35 years ago.... my calculator and give it a try. Any entomologist's favorite saying is " All bugs are insects, but not all insects are "bugs." The is one order of insects known as "true bugs." And no one but another entomologist would give a dern. And I still miss Montana. It will be a week or two before I get to try it out at the range. I'll come back on then and let you know how it worked. Next is the trigger I guess. Hope it isn't too hard to get apart. TB :D
Biggest problem I ever have weith a gun is the SHOOTER and they are not fixable.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:45 pm

I measured the distance b/w the rear and front sight, as you said, and calculated it out; and you hit it right on the money. And it is a whole lot less than I would have imagined it would be. I have some good files and I will put a bit of tape across the sight so as not to go to far.

But just to be on the safe side, I will probably carry a file with me to the range. :) TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Bearand oldman

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:48 pm

Hey! Some of us aren't like old dogs. We really can learn new tricks. :lol: :lol: TG
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Five inches at 25 meters isn't really all that much. A small change on the sight will make a big difference downrange. Sounds like you have a good plan for solving the discrepancy. Remember to run your rear sight down to mid-range.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Re: Bearand oldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:03 pm

Tigerbeetle wrote:Hey! Some of us aren't like old dogs. We really can learn new tricks. :lol: :lol: TG
Us old dogs can learn mnew tricks and we still know ll of th old ones too. But there are a lot of the old tricks and some of the new ones that we just can't do.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:30 pm

File and shoot, file and shoot, that is the way I did both of my 1911 carry guns, a Springfield Arms Micro Compact and a v-10, both short barrel guns that shot low. It's easy to take off but hard to put back on. After a few tries I got both of them shootin to POA is POI. Not the way so shoot a target gun but the way I prefer my point and shoot defensive guns.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

.380 S&W Sigma

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:53 am

I picked one up a few years ago as a truck/car and carry gun. It is nice in that you can put it in the hip pocket of your jeans if you want. But I am afraid if the bad guy is more than 15 or 20 feet away, he probably won't get hit with the first shot more than about half the time. And I could be exaggerating a bit. I need to take it out to the range and shoot a bunch of inexpensive ball ammunition through it. I'll save my HPs, which cost a bunch. The sights(?) on it aren't much. Some little bitty rear semblance of a sight on the back end, and then a bump about the size of a pimple on the front end. I don't believe it was ever meant for competitive shooting. :)) I am a bit surprised at the amount of recoil it has. Between believing a short 9 mm wasn't all that big a round, and the lightness of the pistol, it rocks pretty good. But easily recovered for the second tap.

I also have a S&W .357 on the N frame. Now that is a different thing. I can punch a bull a good long ways with that. I have been carrying it deer hunting the past several years hoping to have one come buy within 30 or 40 yards. So far they have all been plus a 100, so the .270 speaks to them and they lay down.

I have a Ruger MKI and a 3 screw single six w/mag cyl. Working on the MKI as you know. Not much I can do with the single six unless I mount a red dot on it. And I may do that eventually. I have a Buck Mark on order which will be my next priority. Haven't messed with the short arms in years and it is kind of fun to bring them back into the light. Have a good day, b&om. TB
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:25 am

No, they are not a target gun and never were intended to be, but I hav been able to put all 7 round on the paper at 25 yards. Used to shoot a program at the indoor range where the target ran uout to 18 feet on edge and open for 3 seconds and close and then pause and repeat. From the low ready position could get all 7 round in the Com on a reduced size BG target by shooting 3 round and the 4 rounds. They are really a point and shoot gun, you see the sights but you are no really aiming closely. Shot it with factory 230 FMJ's or my 200 LSWC's equally well. The Micro is an aluminum frame and at 23 ounces empty you can feel the recoil a little.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Got it dialed in.

Post by Tigerbeetle » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:43 pm

I followed Bullseye's advice. I centered the elevation screw and took about .15mm off the front sight. With my quivering old hands, over a pillow on the pick up hood that was being wiggled by the wind a little bit, I managed to get a couple rounds into the bull at 50 feet without too much trouble. Sure made me feel good. BAOM, I used a little touch of bluing on top of the front sight and you'd never know it had been filed down, except that the wider, top, painted part of the front sight is about half as high as it used to be.

Appreciate the help. BTW, I got a Bench Mark Camo Camper Saturday and had it painting the bull under the same conditions. What Fun!
TB
Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Millett sights on Ruger Mark Standard

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:37 pm

I thought this thread was on the rimfire side and was looking all over for it. I files 0.15 mm off the top of the front sight. Centered the elevation on the rear sight and tried it out a week ago Saturday. Didn't take very long at all to have it in the 9-10 when I held it steady. Wind was blowing and rocking the truck once in a while.

I also tried out a new Buck Mark Camo Camper that day as well. The trigger on the Ruger is a little smoother, but it is about 25 years older, too.
Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

BM Camo Camper

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:39 pm

Here is a picture of my Camo.
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:15 am

That was a very tall front sight. A little off the top looks like it did the trick for you.

Nice looking Buckmark.

R,
Bullseye

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Second time at the range with the ruger stnd.

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:58 pm

I remembered my sand bags this time and was able to be a little firmer in my rest than over my tote bag as in the first round. After a warm up clip or two, I was able to keep 9 rounds almost under a quarter, two times in a row at 50 feet +/-. The indoor range leaves a little to be desired. The target hangers swing for a while and you have to wait for them to stop oscillating. Then if you shoot to fast, the target starts swinging again. Really a challenge that becomes a game to catch the bull on the way by. Having fun all the way.

Got a Simmons red dot on the camo camper and it really shoots the middle out of the bull.
tb
Tigerbeetle