lube

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

lube

Post by toyfj40 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:30 am

came upon this "video clip" with a basic lesson in Pistol-Lube.

http://www.GunsMagazine.com/webblastlube.html

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 10, 2008 10:16 pm

I don't come close to that much lube on any pistol. I usually add a few drops of oil and wipe everything down with a slightly oily cloth. Anyone else putting that much on their pistols? Something worth a try, I guess.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:46 pm

I'd never try to tell anyone how-much-lube to use
(especially if they're speaking of the "Kentucky Jelly" )

I happen to use a tad-extra gun-oil on my Ruger MK2s...
and then field-strip it and blow-out the crud with the AirHose
and re-apply some oil... and it comes REALLY CLEAN !!

I'm not using enough oil to get my hands/ammo "oily",
just I don't worry about getting too much...

it comes from my dad's "lawn mower" business in W.Texas
and seeing just how effective the oil is in floating-out the crud
(dust/sand/etc) ... and frequent oil/filter changes were like
some miracle-grow fluid... no wear/troubles...

old habits die hard... I also figger I'd have trouble wiping my
pistol with a cloth... and getting lube down into the springs/grooves
where the wear is taking place...
Kinda like putting a good primer/sealer coat of paint on your lumber
BEFORE you nail-it-up ! you'll never get paint into the backside
with a later paint-job and guess where the wood rots a decade later??

-- toy

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Mon May 12, 2008 1:21 pm

greener wrote:I don't come close to that much lube on any pistol. I usually add a few drops of oil and wipe everything down with a slightly oily cloth. Anyone else putting that much on their pistols? Something worth a try, I guess.
No way!:shock:
I'm of the "toy" school of lubrication! Less is more! I always either blow it off with compressed air or give it a thorough wipe down leaving just a very thin trace of lube. The exception would be when storing. I use a liberal coat of Eezox or CorrosionX on exposed metal for corrosion prevention.

SD

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:51 am

Another Eezox fan here,especially for semi autos where metal slides on metal. You will be able to tell the difference,and no chance of your lube forming an abrasive compound. Regards

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Lube

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:14 am

Good Lord! It looks like that guy was drowning his weapon in lube.

I wipe all my guns down with an oil cloth and reassemble them. It has worked for me for over 50 years.

Whatever works it good I reckon.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:07 am

I tried a little extra oil, per the video. The result seemed to be a bit gummier residue after a few hundred rounds. I went back to the oily rag wipe down.

I'm a sucker for the "new and improved" stuff like this. A while back I tried some grease and oil with supposed increased lubricity. Didn't work as well as oil after firing residue hit it and it developed an odor I didn't like, which is saying something since I'm a chemist with extensive experience in wastewater, slaughter houses and landfills. I suppose there are better lubes than CLP and gun oil, but I'm pretty satisfied with those. I'm also pretty sure the next time someone dangles the better lube bait, I'll bite.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:01 am

greener wrote:I tried a little extra oil, per the video. The result seemed to be a bit gummier residue after a few hundred rounds. I went back to the oily rag wipe down.

I'm a sucker for the "new and improved" stuff like this. A while back I tried some grease and oil with supposed increased lubricity. Didn't work as well as oil after firing residue hit it and it developed an odor I didn't like, which is saying something since I'm a chemist with extensive experience in wastewater, slaughter houses and landfills. I suppose there are better lubes than CLP and gun oil, but I'm pretty satisfied with those. I'm also pretty sure the next time someone dangles the better lube bait, I'll bite.
If they paint it with some flashy colors like a fishing lure I know you will. Them fancy painted lures catch more fishermen than they do fish, betcha??????
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:57 am

...it developed an odor I didn't like, which is saying something since I'm a chemist with extensive experience in wastewater, slaughter houses and landfills.
So, can we say you're the king of funk? :shock:

I'm with the Hermit, I just use an oily rag for wipe down. But, I have been know to slobber oil all over my 1911 in the middle of a match.

R,
Bullseye

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Lube

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:55 pm

I learned about lube the hard way many, many years ago.

I was told to lubricate a 10 ton truck by my Motor Sergeant a long, long time ago. Realize this was my first experience with lubricating a vehicle and I had absolutely no idea what a lubrication order was, what a grease zerk was, even that a technical manual for the vehicle even existed. Yes, I admit, I was a totally clueless youngster that had only the desire to accomplish whatever was assigned to me in the military. It was certainly better than pumping gas or bagging groceries.

Anyway, I jogged out to the motor park, found my truck, unhooked the long trailer, and drove the vehicle up to the maintenance bays. I asked the Corporal in charge of the tool room for the appropriate items to accomplish the aforesaid lubrication and was handed a grease gun and 5 gallon bucket of grease with which to refill it as needed.

Using the imperfect logical that only a 17 year old possesses, I decided I would make this truck my first masterpiece and set about the business of lubricating every moving part on that truck. It took me nearly 6 hours and I worked well into the evening hours long after all the other guys had knocked off for the day and returned to the barracks. Finally, I was satisfied that no vehicle in the Army inventory had ever been lubricated so thoroughly. There was grease on EVERY moving part, all hinges, all joints, all turnbuckles, all metal to metal contacts, everywhere there was any possible movement that might benefit from a little grease.

I could not return the vehicle to the motor park as the gates had already been secured, so I left my prize right there in front of the motor pool and jogged happily back to the barracks some 2 miles away.

The next morning at work formation, the First Sergeant completed his daily roll call and accountability functions then said something that made my young heart swell with pride. His words echo in my ears even to this day.
As I recall it, he said "Gentlemen, I have an object lesson for you all. I want you to see what attention to detail and devotion to duty can accomplish. If each of you will apply yourselves to your jobs and patiently persevere, you can achieve not only mission success, but greatness. Behind you is a vehicle I want you all to examine minutely and take heed."

I was so proud I could hardly contain myself. I was being recognized for excellence in my first week of being assigned to my first unit in Germany.

The First Sergeant continued. "If I ever see another example of such waste and misuse of government equipment and supplies, I will personally conduct a one-on-one counseling session behind the motor pool and only I will be able to walk back."

Needless to say, I was totally and completely deflated, crushed, and probably redder than a fresh, ripe tomato.

Again, he continued. "The person responsible for this reprehensible injustice to preventive maintenance will immediately report to the Motor Sergeant for remedial training and appropriate instruction on how to lubricate a prime mover."

He then dismissed the formation and most of the guys ambled over to the truck and began joking, pointing, and laughing at what I had thought was a job well done.

I reported to the Motor Sergeant as ordered and after he stopped laughing, he had me sit down and then he gave me a lengthy block of instruction on how to properly maintain military vehicles. He then gave me a bundle of rags and told me to remove the grease and tell him when I was finished so he could come out and show me how to complete the task of lubrication properly.

I did as I was ordered and he did in fact come out and show me all about grease zerks and the proper use of a grease gun. Doing the job properly took less than one hour and when the Motor Sergeant was satisfied, he gave me some advice I carry with me to this day. "Less is more when it comes to lubrication."

I got many opportunities to practice that maxim over the next several years and eventually was able to live down that initial faux pas.

I now use a bore snake and oiled cloth to maintain all my weapons and have never regretted it.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:12 pm

Bullseye wrote:
...it developed an odor I didn't like, which is saying something since I'm a chemist with extensive experience in wastewater, slaughter houses and landfills.
So, can we say you're the king of funk? :shock:

I'm with the Hermit, I just use an oily rag for wipe down. But, I have been know to slobber oil all over my 1911 in the middle of a match.

R,
Bullseye
I may not be the "king", but I probably could get at least an honorable mention. For years, SWMBO's idea of me coming in the house from work was undress in the garage before I could take the two steps to the shower.

Loved the story, Hermit.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm

Hermit, I may have an earlier-age story than yours...
as a "toddler" (maybe 5-ish) in my dad's shop, I would find
the 5-gal grease-can with the lid off and dip my arms up to my
elbows... then go to my mom and announce: "I've been working..."

I guess I was too-cute (the first couple times) to get a spankin'
-- toy

yes, it is difficult to find "all the zerk-fittings", even WITH the Maint-manual.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:07 am

I really enjoyed that lube story!

R,
Bullseye