Ruger P90 Surprise

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Ruger P90 Surprise

Post by greener » Sat May 10, 2008 10:28 pm

I've not been interested in Ruger P-series pistols because they looked and felt blocky. A couple months ago I had an opportunity to buy a used P90 at an attractive price. I've been very impressed with the accuracy I can achieve with the pistol, which might be something very different from the inherent pistol accuracy. :lol:

I've only fired my reloads in it and, other than a few stovepipe issues with my 185gr lswc loads, it has functioned flawlessly and is a easy pistol to shoot. Is this typical of the P-series? If so, I might yield to temptation if I come across a 9mm version at a decent price.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:37 pm

thanks for the 'heads up' post.
I, too, had shy-ed away from the Ruger 9mm/.45 "pistols"
due to their look/feel at the counter...

keep us posted. --toy

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:47 pm

I've had it out a couple more times since this post. The single action trigger has a lot of pretravel before it fires. If I have been shooting something with minimal pretravel and don't think about the trigger on the first round. Last time out, I did the low-left (1.5 and 1.5") and the rest of the mag around the center of a 3" target. Said something like "golly", this can't keep up. Through about 100 rounds of 185gr and 200gr lswc and 200 gr cmj at it with different powders and loads. Kept everything in the target but one load of 185gr seemed to be a bit more variable.

Seems easy to shoot and easy to shoot with reasonable accuracy. Looks can be a bit deceiving with the P90.

Brian48

Post by Brian48 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:53 am

I had a P90 years ago when I was still in the USMC. Really miss it. Sold it for the extra funds to help purchase an AMT Hardballer. What a mistake that was.

Anyway, my P90 shot like a match gun, had a great trigger (both DA and SA), and was reliable as can be. The gun was also so beefy that if I ran out of rounds, I could use it as club.

What's odd is that I fired a friend's P85 and was not impressed at all. It just didn't seem to have the level of quality for some reason.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:22 am

You don't see many P-90's and mine seems to start conversations because most people don't recognize it. I continue to get pretty good groups with it so the conversations are pretty positive. Most handguns are capable of doing pretty well at 15 yards when fired by a good shooter. Some are easier for duffers like me to shoot well. The P90 seems to be one of those that are easy for me to shoot well.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

P-90

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:07 am

Funny you should mention the venerable P-90.

I will soon be trading my original KP-90DC (and a Beretta Neos) for a Glock 17L at a local gun shop.

The P-90 is definitely a workhorse, definitely a blocky, heavy, and almost indestructible hunk of steel, but it eats anything you can feed it and always made me feel secure when I had it in my hand.

It has served me well over the past decade + and I will probably miss it one day, but I buy, sell, and trade guns as easily as I breath, so I will get over it.

I have no experience with Ruger 9MMs, but I know that old 45 would feed anything flawlessly and Ruger has always been my favorite brand.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]