Kimber Ultra RCP-Bad Idea?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Kimber Ultra RCP-Bad Idea?

Post by greener » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:22 pm

A shooter next in the next lane on the range yesterday was having a heck of a time hitting anything with his short barreled .45, everything was 6" low. It was a Kimber Ultra RCP, which has a groove down the slide and no front sights. Trigger, weight and balance were great, but aiming it took a bit of practice. I did my "them as can't, coach" routine and he got the low out of his system.

Seems that the RCP is an awfully expensive pistol for "no aim, short range, hope you hit center of mass" shooting.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Kimber Ultra RCP-Bad Idea?

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:30 pm

greener wrote:A shooter next in the next lane on the range yesterday was having a heck of a time hitting anything with his short barreled .45, everything was 6" low. It was a Kimber Ultra RCP, which has a groove down the slide and no front sights. Trigger, weight and balance were great, but aiming it took a bit of practice. I did my "them as can't, coach" routine and he got the low out of his system.

Seems that the RCP is an awfully expensive pistol for "no aim, short range, hope you hit center of mass" shooting.
Just like my carry gun Rob, as long as they all hit the 8-1/2x11 target that is good enough for me. not reqkky meant to be a target gun. Just point and shoot and it will save you butt.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:04 pm

that's a shame that he is so disappointed with his pistol.
I want to help... tell him I'll give him $100 for it and
he can get a SpringField "GI" or "MilSpec"... :P

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:25 pm

toyfj40 wrote:that's a shame that he is so disappointed with his pistol.
Yup, thats me generous Texas freiend trying to help out his fellow man. ALL HEART that boy.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:56 pm

toyfj40 wrote:that's a shame that he is so disappointed with his pistol.
He was struggling with a pistol he couldn't shoot well and couldn't figure out how. I suppose the "no sight" groove keeps the pistol having sights get caught in your holster/pocket and makes for less-encumbered draw. The sight groove wasn't all that intuitive.

Lot of money for a pistol you can't shoot, probably would have taken a couple hundred to get it off him.

I'm not sure that my 5-round experience with the pistol left me with that much of a warm and fuzzy feeling. "GI" sounds pretty good.