Best scope mount placement ?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Best scope mount placement ?

Post by Python » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Hello fellow shooters;

Been looking at the RRA wadcutter pistols.(maybe a Christmas present to myself :) )

Question is, frame mounted scope or slide mounted scope ?

RRA has what looks like the ability to mount a scope on the slide if needed, but also has open sights mounted on the gun.

Reason I ask is that I will be using open sights until my eyes get worse and then I could mount a scope on it if needed.

Just like the M41 that I have coming(got that for myself as my birthday present :) )
The M41 is drilled and tapped for a scope, but have the option of using or not using it.

Can these scopes really take the battering when mounted on the slide ?

What would be the best scopes for this application while mounted on the slide ?

Thanks.

Clarence;

bentrod

Post by bentrod » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Slide mounted Ultra Dot 1" 4 dot is what many top BE shooters are using. There is a life time warante on the scope.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Departments/U ... ptics.aspx

Jim

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:43 pm

I use a slide mounted UD-30 on my Wadcutter gun.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

slide vs frame mount

Post by stork » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:50 am

I will also cast my opinion for the slide mount. I've been using mine on my wad gun for over 6 yrs and love it. You will find the recoil a bit slower, but not much. It seems to soften it (recoil) just a bit.

You will find advocates for both and both have advantages and disadvantages. My reccomendation is to try each and decide which one you prefer.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington