10-round mags for a 1911?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

10-round mags for a 1911?

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:35 am

In the next few days I'm going to be ordering a few 10-rounders for a 1911 and I was wondering what brand/specific model you recommend? So far I've had Mec-Gar and Chip McCormick loaned to me for a couple matches, no issues with either.
The mags will be for a Hardball pistol.

Thanks!

wolfflatwin

Post by wolfflatwin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:21 pm

Try Tripp research. Great magazines. great service.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:37 pm

I would ditto the recommend for Tripp Research and your acquaintance with Chip McCormick is fairly standard. His mags are probably the most well known (and respected) in the 1911 community.

I personally would never insert a Mec-Gar mag into anything I own, but that is only because I never had one that fed properly even once. Just my experience with them.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for the advice! Where do you guys recommend I order the Tripp Research mags from?

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:03 am

I just ordered them from their website. I got four 45acp 10rounders. the order was placed on the 4th in the afternoon they came in on the 6th in the morning, talk about fast shipping! :P They seem pretty high quality just from what my untrained eyes can tell. Gonna give them a test on Monday.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:42 am

Let us know how they work.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:21 am

Never use 10 round mags, bu t have a lot of WQilson mags and they work great. I beliee they are 8 rounds for the full size guns and 7 for the short grip guns.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:23 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Never use 10 round mags, bu t have a lot of WQilson mags and they work great. I beliee they are 8 rounds for the full size guns and 7 for the short grip guns.
A 10-round mag would make your carry a bit tougher. I've thought about one for my full-size.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:39 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Never use 10 round mags, bu t have a lot of WQilson mags and they work great. I beliee they are 8 rounds for the full size guns and 7 for the short grip guns.
A 10-round mag would make your carry a bit tougher. I've thought about one for my full-size.
Actuall in my carry guns I use the following, The SAa Mic ro, a stock 6 round factory maf because it is flush with the grip. The V-10 has a mag well aso I normally use a Wilson 7 round with the butt pad, because when you use a stock 6 round and push it in, it will pinch ehe palm of your hand.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:07 pm

My Taurus mags are 8 rounds. I also have a couple of unknown manufacture that carry 7. When I'm punching paper I rarely load more than 5. Still, a 10-rounder might be interesting.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:19 pm

greener wrote:My Taurus mags are 8 rounds. I also have a couple of unknown manufacture that carry 7. When I'm punching paper I rarely load more than 5. Still, a 10-rounder might be interesting.
By the time you expend 6 or 7 rounds the fight will most likely be over anyway, then just throw it on the ground and grab the second gun, eadier and faster than reloading. As far as that the 1st 3 rounds should just about cointrol most any theing.