Ruger SR9

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

wemrick1

Post by wemrick1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Well, after giving such a glowing review of the P95, I took it to a range over the weekend with some new ammo, Remington FMJ, and I could not get a full magazine through it without at least one jam. Talking to a friend who has owned pistols forever, (I am relitively new to pistols) he seemed to think I simply need to test different types of ammo until I find something this thing likes to eat. Is this standard with an automatic pistol? If I can't rely on the thing it needs to be destroyed! I will not sell it to someone else knowing it may jam when they need it most.

Now I am thinking Glock. I can't say I like anything about them except that they are proported to be very reliable, or am I missing the boat here? Will I need to match ammo to a glock as well?

greener

Post by greener » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Did you clean and lube the pistol before taking it out?
How many rounds did you fire?

Some need to be cleaned and lubed before firing the first time. Also, some need to be broken in with a few hundred rounds.

wemrick1

Post by wemrick1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:34 pm

Thank you for responding Greener!

It has had, I would estimate about 200 rounds put through it so far. It used to jam regularly, but I thought that was only because the magazine would constantly fall out mid-firing per mag release on the right side of the pistol being engaged by my fat palm. I filed that release off and at least the magazine does not fall out anymore. I had cleaned the pistol after the last usage when I fired it on Saturday, but per it's poor performance I cleaned the heck out of it Saturday night. I scrubbed every bit of powder charring I could find with the pistol "field stripped". I paid special attention to the chambering section of the barrel. After cleaning I used hopps gun oil and coated the whole thing with light film. Sunday when I took it back out it still would not go through a full mag without jamming. A few times the last round fired would not engage the chamber lock back. I am using Remington UMC 115gr mc (L9mm3) ammunition.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:30 pm

Sounds like you ought to try different ammo. Possibly with a different bullet weight. I have a P90. The only "Jam" problem I've had came from one specific reload.

You might try posting the question on www.rugerforum.net or www.rugerforum.com.

wemrick1

Post by wemrick1 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 pm

That seems to be what most everyone agrees on. I will be trying different ammo here soon. I found another post on another forum where one owner found that the same Remington ammo caused his to jam up.

wemrick1

Post by wemrick1 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:06 pm

Wow, not much going on. I guess just for the archives...... I picked up some Winchester 9mm 115gr and all is well with the P95. The love affair is back! No problems, no complaints just blissfull shooting happiness! Love the thing so much I went and picked up an SR9. It is eating the Remington ammo that the P95 didn't care for just fine. Wow! that SR9 is quite the sleeper IMHO. Move over Glock, watch out Sig, and FN! I'm just too happy with my two Rugers, and I truely love the fact that they are made in the U.S. to boot!

BirdMan

Post by BirdMan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:37 am

I've been doing some research - I'm looking into getting something as either a carry weapon or a home defense weapon - I'm still deciding. Anyway, I came across these YouTube vids which have some awfully nice things to say about the SR9. After watching them, I think I'll make it a point to try one if I get the opportunity. Perhaps others will find them useful.

Shooting the Ruger SR9: Ruger Got It Right, Part 1/3

Shooting the Ruger SR9: Ruger Got It Right, Part 2/3

Shooting the Ruger SR9: Ruger Got It Right, Part 3/3

AND

Ruger SR9 pistol: Gunning for the Glock, Part 1/3

Ruger SR9 pistol: Gunning for the Glock, Part 2/3

Ruger SR9 pistol: Gunning for the Glock, Part 3/3

slabsides

Post by slabsides » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:34 am

As someone who hasn't even handled an SR9, I probably shouldn't comment here. But I have some long-standing opinions about this type of design, especially when used by occasional or inexperienced shooters.
Mastering the long trigger pull of a striker fired weapon is difficult at first, and when finally one is accustomed to the technique involved, it's difficult to translate that to single action cocked-and-locked styles. Implications?
Part of my prejudice comes from being an 'old-timer' who learned to shoot pistols on the DA revolver and SA auto (Browning) platforms. The first CF pistol I ever owned was a Walther P38. I own a Kahr, it's one of my two carry pieces now, so I have some experience with the type. I always feel better prepared somehow with my other CC gun: an S&W Mod. 60. And I shoot best with single action revolvers and the 1911/Browning HP single action autos. As a long-time fan of Jeff Cooper, I early developed a bias against 'crunchentickers' as he called them. Hard to do precise work with a Kahr, or a DA/SA auto starting in hammer-down mode. Guess I'm just an old 'cocked and locked' conservative. Even my rimfire target guns are hammer types: the hammers are just inside the frame and unseen.
RE: holsters for new models of autos: Everyone should know about the 'String Holster'. You can make one yourself with half a shoelace. Just tie two loops in the ends of a short string, leaving enough space in the middle to fit your pistol. Loops go on your belt. Insert your pistol into the connecting string loop, and tuck the muzzle into your waistband. The string around the back of the gun keeps the gun from slipping down. Doesn't work well with revolvers, but there's another shoestring trick for them. I'll describe that in another post if anyone's interested.