Need help with light trigger on 1911

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

dsymes

Need help with light trigger on 1911

Post by dsymes » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:39 am

This is a first post, although I've visited many times to browse and learn.

I have a Springfield Armory Custom Trophy 1911 that has been customized as a bullseye pistol - it shoots quite well, but has a light trigger at about 2.25 lbs. Ideally, I would like to find someone to work on it who is local in the Seattle area, and can adjust to about 3.5 or 4 lbs. On the other hand, we are all only as far away as the UPS truck, so good referals elsewhere in the country are welcome too. I just hope to find someone who can do it in a month ot two at most - I've only got the one 1911 and don't want to shoot only 22 for a year.

Should I be considering doing this myself? I have put a Volquartsen kit into a Ruger MII and am fairly handy at making things.

Thanks for a great website,

dsymes

NGIB

Post by NGIB » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:41 am

I picked up an older Springer Loaded that was way to light for me a while back. After checking with some local experts, I put in a new stock sear spring from Brownells that got the pull back where I wanted it. It's also possible to bend the middle leg of the spring towards the trigger which also puts more load against the trigger bar.

Caveat - I'm not an expert by any means but this is a pretty simple fix assuming that all the other parts (hammer, sear, etc.) are in spec...
We sleep safe abed at night only because rough men stand ready in the dark to do violence on our behalf - George Orwell

USAF-Retired

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:59 am

Welcome to Guntalk-Online.com!

Your pistol sounds like it was originally created to shoot a 22 conversion kit. Two pounds is way too light for .45 rounds, three and a half to four pounds is more like it. Here is a picture of the sear spring legs for adjustment.

The left most spring leg is the one that increases or decreases pressure on the sear and trigger. The center leg can moderately increase trigger pressure but its main purpose is to provide positive tension for the disconnector.

There is a large following of Bullseye shooters in the Seattle area, mostly around the Puget Sound side of the region. Here are a few smiths that can take care of the problem if your spring adjustment doesn't satisfy you.

Tom Matz 18002 15th Ave NE Seattle, WA 98155 (206) 417-4750

Dane Burns www.burnscustom.com

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

NGIB

Post by NGIB » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks Bullseye, had my spring legs mixed up...
We sleep safe abed at night only because rough men stand ready in the dark to do violence on our behalf - George Orwell

USAF-Retired

dsymes

Post by dsymes » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks NGIB and Bullseye,

I will try bending that spring. However, when I bought the gun, I was living in Hawaii and Ed Masaki looked it over for me. He did bend the spring a bit, but it was still way too light. So I suspect that it may need a new sear. I'll probably not get to it until after the holidays, but will report back then.

NGIB

Post by NGIB » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:52 pm

It's possible it has a light spring in it and replacing it with a stock spring will do the trick. I'd try this before replacing the hammer & sear as I always do this as a unit myself...

USAF-Retired

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:12 pm

Yes, adding a stock spring is a better first choice. If you end up replacing the sear and hammer then they must be cut and mated for a proper lock-up. They are not drop-in parts, proper safety precautions must be taken to ensure the mated surfaces match and all safety features are operational.

R,
Bullseye