Carry-Ability gun

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:24 pm

thanks BE, I'll pass this info on to him,
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Tell him to first check the extractor for dirt or grit and ease of movement. Any restriction on the extractor will cause misfeeds.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Consider it done, B.E.
thanks, Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:11 pm

Mine has a nicely polished feed ramp and it seems to work for me.

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:29 pm

I like the Wather pistols but this new model that releases the magazilne by activating a lever on the trigger guard SUCKS BIT TIME!!!

Also anyone with a .380 cal. carrying it for "self-defense" on the streets has their head in the sand people. The .380 auto caliber is known as a "GET THE GUY OFF MY BACK" meaning he already has his hands on you.
This type mentality is in the same boat as carrying a semi-auto pistol with NO ROUND IN THE CHAMBER..........GEEZ!!! This is HOLLYWOOD CRAP!

I will challenge anybody who thinks they can get their weapon out of the holster and get off a round before I cut their throat standing 6 feet away. Why in CCW classes they show how fast a Bad Guy can move and distance covered before most can draw their pistols and fire. In my class we had 2 young man who both traveled 21 feet in less than 1.5 secs. when the word GO was given them. Think about that fact the next next time you wish to carry that pistol with NO LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER!!! :shock:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:37 pm

I'll bet those guys carry the spaare in their car wih no air in it until it is needed. What if you only have use of one hand? Whaqt if the BG has injured your strong hnd tha is why I carry a bak up gun on the weak side, and it is a .380. Carrying 2 45's makes my pant hang down too far.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:15 pm

the lever thing for amag release isn't really that bad once u get used to it, its the same type that is on my Smith and walther p99...

I have a ppk/s 380, a subcompact 40, and a j-frame 38spl....some how i always go with the wheelgun for a BUG...

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:18 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:the lever thing for amag release isn't really that bad once u get used to it, its the same type that is on my Smith and walther p99...

I have a ppk/s 380, a subcompact 40, and a j-frame 38spl....some how i always go with the wheelgun for a BUG...
If I had a J frame you could bet that would be my weak side gun for sure. Probably over 50% of people I have known that carry a backup, have one.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi Ball, I'm on board with everything you said there, except that I think the mag release on the P99/PPS/P22/PK380 is great.
More practice will reveal the advantages, it prevents a button release magazine popping out of a carried pistol, without making you go to a heel release.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:41 pm

I Do believe H&K uses it on on of their pistols also....After i got used to it I like it, especially because (At least with my Smith and Walther p99) it is a truely Ambi design right out of the box.....

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Here's the result of the fellow with the fte/ftfeed problems. He got his PM9 back from the manf but has yet to test it.
Well I got my PM9 back today from Kahr. That was really fast. They replaced the Extractor, Recoil Spring and they polished parts as needed. They lubed and test fired and wrote that everything was fine.
I won't be able to test it until next Sunday. I got my fingers crossed.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:53 pm

The extractor was my call.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 pm

The extractor was my call.
I can now understand the extractor causing feeding problems. My Sig Mosquito has a weak extractor, and it fails miserably with FFFeed, mainly because the poorly extracted round gets in the way of the next round. The only thing my Sig feeds/extracts reliably is CCI Ammunition. They must have quality brass on them, or something???
Good call though,
Glockalong

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Ouch, here's the result of the fellow's first outing to the range after getting his PM-9 back from Kahr because of FFFeed problems. It sounds worse then when he sent it in. I feel for the guy because it just shouldn't be this way. I know what it's like sending a gun back to the manf'r, but mine was fixed when I got it back (at least the first Smith).
Check it out:
http://www.handgunforum.net/showthread. ... post201136
Glockalong

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:12 am

Spent some time at the gun show looking at small .380 and 9mm pistols.

Taurus has a new .380, the TCP 738 that competes with the LCP and P3AT in size and price. Good feel and the trigger seems to be smooth an not all that heavy.

Taurus also has a small 9mm, the PT 709, that competes with the Keltec and other, almost pocket size, 9mm. Except for some reports of ammo sensitivity, the write ups are positive. The 709 has adjustable rear sights. It seems to be a variant on their PT111.

None of these are pistols I'd like to have extended range sessions with. They aren't intended for that. If I were in the market for one, I'd probably go with the Keltec's simply on price.

I may end up with one but, at least for this weekend, I couldn't get over the thought that small, light and pocket-size was the reason I have an S&W 442.