Ruger SA Convertibles

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:11 pm

I haven't looked at the cylinders yet, but did take the BH out today. Some of the lack of precision may be due to the round. The .45 ACP was darned accurate with 200 gr lswc's loaded with ~4.3 gr Bullseye. 230 gr lrn loaded with ~4.3 gr Bullseye gave considerable scatter. I could shoot sub 2" groups at 15 yards with the lswc's and get 6" groups with the next six rounds of lrn.

I got similar results shooting those loads in my PT1911B. The lswc's were darned consistent and on target and the lrn's scattered. In the Taurus, the lrn's wanted to go left.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:42 pm

greener wrote:I haven't looked at the cylinders yet, but did take the BH out today. Some of the lack of precision may be due to the round. The .45 ACP was darned accurate with 200 gr lswc's loaded with ~4.3 gr Bullseye. 230 gr lrn loaded with ~4.3 gr Bullseye gave considerable scatter. I could shoot sub 2" groups at 15 yards with the lswc's and get 6" groups with the next six rounds of lrn.

I got similar results shooting those loads in my PT1911B. The lswc's were darned consistent and on target and the lrn's scattered. In the Taurus, the lrn's wanted to go left.
Never have used any LRN in my 1911's as I recall. My favorite lode is the 200 grain LSWC with 6.5 grains of Green Dot, it is a really nice shooting load and will run my SA Micro , so I stay with it and the accuracy is better than this shooter. Have always had Green Dot and Unique around when I loaded a lot of shot shells as it would work well in 12, 16, 20, and 28 gage and I only need Winchester 296 rfor .410's, that kept my powder inventory down to just 2 or 3 kinds.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Blackhawk 45 Update

Post by greener » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:17 pm

The more I shoot this revolver, the better I like it. I've loaded some 230 gr lrn and 250 gr lfp's with 6.3 gr Universal Clays. Except for nut pulling the trigger I've gotten excellent groups with both loads. Just a little POI movement on the target with the change. The .45ACP cylinder seems to pretty well with just about anything I've put in it. Prints groups in a bit of a different place on the target than the .45 colt rounds and seems to like a slightly hotter loads than I normally shoot in my 1911.

Fun shooting revolver and a better convertible idea in execution than the .357/9mm convertible.

bearandoldman

Re: Blackhawk 45 Update

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:47 am

greener wrote:The more I shoot this revolver, the better I like it. I've loaded some 230 gr lrn and 250 gr lfp's with 6.3 gr Universal Clays. Except for nut pulling the trigger I've gotten excellent groups with both loads. Just a little POI movement on the target with the change. The .45ACP cylinder seems to pretty well with just about anything I've put in it. Prints groups in a bit of a different place on the target than the .45 colt rounds and seems to like a slightly hotter loads than I normally shoot in my 1911.

Fun shooting revolver and a better convertible idea in execution than the .357/9mm convertible.
Glad to hear that I am not the only one that has a problem with the trigger operator. That load in the .45ACP sounds about right as if my memory is any good at all Universal Clays, Green Dot and Unique are all very close as far as burn rate. Makes sense on the hotter load in the .45 Colt as the larger case capacity will cause you to get slightly lower pressure with the same powder charge.
The more I shoot my 50th Anniversary BH the more I like it also. Got a good deal on some bullets from a friend/dealer who casts and sizes them himself, a 140 grain full wad cutter set about a 1/16 sticking out of the case with 3.5 grains of Green Dot. Damn they punch nice neat holes in the black part of the target. Looks like my shooting is pretty much on hold for a while with afoot or more of snow and temps at 20 degrees or less. Sure miss my old indoor range, they closed up in late November of last year.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.