CCW Pistol for a Woman

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

MtStream

Post by MtStream » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:32 pm

I know several 'ladies' that use and carry large frame autos quite well. They'd certainly beg to differ on the small/j frame as being ideal. After seeing them shoot, I tend to concur with them. Perfect practice makes perfection.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Most of the ladies I know prefer Autos over revolvers. Their preference on action varies to DAK to DA/SA with one going with the full size Kimber 1911. Surprisingly most say the 45 has less recoil over a 40 and I agree. And they say the 9mm is a nice in between round. Since Hornady came out with the Critical Defense Ammo the 380 is not so much under powered as it used to be.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

mrfcobf

Post by mrfcobf » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:31 pm

She says thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

The revolver idea got a firm, "No." She is pretty damn strong, so recoil is no problem. Going to the range is something we enjoy doing, so practice is no issue either.

The idea would be that the gun would be in her locker in a purse during work hours, but would be on her person when leaving work, so purse snatchers would have a hard run ahead of them!

Renée has actually more handgun experience than I do, so it's not a matter of how-to or anything, it is really just what can she hide on her body comfortably. A guy at the gun show yesterday made a great point. The gun you wear isn't so much to be comfortABLE as it is to be comfortING. Still, we'd love a hybrid between comfortable, reliable, accurate, trustworthy, etc.

I guess that brings me back to my trusty Walther PPK/S. Maybe we buy another of those or the Sig she liked? We are planning on going to look at the Kahr's this week since so many people suggested those.

The good news is that even if she ends up with something like the Glock 19 which is not really a carry piece for a small woman, she's still wearing scrubs when leaving the hospital. She could carry a hand-canon under there and it wouldn't show!

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:40 pm

Myself, I think a size 0/2 woman, would benefit from a Kahr P series handgun on 9mm or .40. Be forewarned, they also do not have safeties as also the Glocks do not.....

Totally unnecessary on a DAO firearm....

IMHO

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:55 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:The only problem with the J-frame suggestion is a lot of novice shooters have trouble controling the little guys, plus the recoil sensitive folks say they are no fun to shoot (I love my 442 personally)....I've heard a lot of ladies tell me they don't care for the j frame.... the kahr pm9 or cw9 would be a better choice IMHO.....but I stick to what she likes its her gun....
I'd pretty much go with that. I like my 442, but I don't care for a lot of hot loads. If I'm going to shoot it for any large number of rounds, I have some 125gr lighter loads. However, they are short range, few round guns, easy to carry, simple to operate.

MtStream

Post by MtStream » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:56 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Most of the ladies I know prefer Autos over revolvers. Their preference on action varies to DAK to DA/SA with one going with the full size Kimber 1911. Surprisingly most say the 45 has less recoil over a 40 and I agree. And they say the 9mm is a nice in between round. Since Hornady came out with the Critical Defense Ammo the 380 is not so much under powered as it used to be.
I know a few that use .40's also - I won't shoot against them :oops: nor will I stand 100 yds in front of them :wink:
Go to the Chaos for the real scoop. JG is well versed in matters of CCL and hand cannons .
http://annieschaos.blogspot.com/2010/02 ... lmost.html

http://annieschaos.blogspot.com/2010/01 ... lloon.html

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:47 am

There are a number of 9mm guns in the size class your PPK occupies, one of the finer ones is the Walther PPS, which happens to be my EDC. Taurus has brought one to market that has about the same profile and a manual safety lever (it might also feature "second strike", you'd have to check) and it is a LOT cheaper than a PPS.
Either would conceal well and offer a little more bang for your buck, both shooting 9mm (cheaper) at the range and 9mm+p for serious uses. That class would also include Kahr (nice but not cheap) and KelTec (cheap and fairly nice ... but not recreational range guns).
If you really want conceal-ability, KelTec makes the p3at and p32, Ruger copied the p3at to make the LCP, Taurus made a copy (model # unknown) and S&W even has a clone coming out that has a manual safety for some reason. All of those but the p32 are in .380acp, and are a LOT smaller than your PPK, if you're a Walther fan the TPH would be in this size class of pocket guns.

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:38 pm

I would have her take a close look at the Kahr CW9 or if you have more monmey to spend the Kahr P9 or K9 depending if she likes the weight of the all steel gun.

I have a CW9 that I carry daily. At 17oz it is very easy to carry.

I also have a SIG 239 which is an excellent pistol by any measure but the little Kahr is just as accurate.

My wife shot both (she has never shot center fire pistols) and was clear that she liked the Kahr better.
God created man and woman. Samuel Colt made them equal.