Reveiw on Ruger P89

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 pm

I must be confused. If I shoot the P89 long stroke the first time, every other shot after that will be short stroke right? If I pull the hammer back before making the first shot, all my shots will be short stroke, won't they. If I shoot the revolver, I eighther gotta pull the hammer back every time to shoot short stroke or just shoot long stroke if I dont employ the hammer.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Mr. Nail wrote:Theres just something about that hammer going wack while being chambered that makes me uneasy. I dont know much about the innerworkings of these guns which Im sure youll enliting me. How do you lower the hammer on all these revolvers and other guns that you have no choice. Should we render all these guns unsafe and discard of them? I havn't spilled a glass of tea since I was a kid and I havent mis fired a gun in my life. If we're worried about our finger slipping off the hammer while we're lowering it, we should probally stick w/ guns w/ live round indicators,grip safeties, hammerless pistols, capguns and so on. Iv'e got an old flintlock blackpowder rifle and I'm not going to dump the powder out of it everytime I wanta lower the hammer.
The decocker moves the firing pin forward and out of reach of hammer as the hammer drops. For other loaded firearms with hammers, I drop the hammer very carefully, usually either holding the hammer as it falls or physically blocking it with a finger.

On you stroke question. I think the overall trigger stroke on the Pseries is long. The DA trigger isn't significantly different than a revolver. The SA stroke is long but works very well. When I shoot the P90 after shooting a 1911, I really notice the length on the first round. After that, I've adjusted and the pistol shoots well.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Mr. Nail wrote:I must be confused. If I shoot the P89 long stroke the first time, every other shot after that will be short stroke right? If I pull the hammer back before making the first shot, all my shots will be short stroke, won't they. If I shoot the revolver, I eighther gotta pull the hammer back every time to shoot short stroke or just shoot long stroke if I don't employ the hammer.
It can be confusing with all of the different systems out there. Revolvers and autos are different when it comes to operations. Revolvers normally have a larger spur for you to get a hold of, far less likely to slip off of. Where autos have smaller hammers. As a general rule of thumb if a auto has a decocker it should always be used to lower the hammer. The decockers blocks the hammer from impacting the firing pin while it lowers the hammer. If you were to slip while manually lowering the hammer by pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer it will go BANG, you bypassed all of the internal safeties. On the P89 the safety lowers the hammer for you, then you take the gun off safety. This will put the gun in DA mode. So your 1st round will be DA just like a revolver, then the rest will be SA till you run out of ammo. This is why it's important to learn how to shoot in DA. If I recall I had to clean up the action on my brothers P89 to smooth it out. The amount of force to shoot the P89 is lower than my Sig. The longer stoke gives the trigger more leverage resulting in a lighter trigger.

For me if I'm need to lower a hammer on a auto that is SAO (single action only), 1911, BHP.... I remove the mag then operate the slide to eject the rounds. Once confirmed the chamber is clear I manually lower the hammer. Then I reload the round back in the mag an insert into gun. So now if I want to shoot I must rack the slide to load a round. SAO guns have safeties that must be engaged to put the gun in a safe mode. Most ALL SAO guns are designed to be carried in condition 1 (round chambered and on safe). Some don't like this mainly because they do not trust the guns built-in safeties. But there is no safe way to manually lower the hammer. There is one type of safety (SKF) for a few models that lowers the hammer like a decocker when you put the safety on, then if you stroke the safety off it cocks the hammer like you never put it on safety. DAO auto shoot just like a revolver, no safety. The hammer is always lowered, so every shot is the same.

Now striker fire guns to me have NO Safety. You snag the trigger they go bang. They do have a safety that prevents them from going off if you were to drop them though.

I hope this helps you under stand the different systems that are out there. Use the safety that comes with the gun if it has one.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:06 pm

The guy I was paired up with for the range time for my CCW had one. It was a little large and I did not like the magazine release. He also had three fail to fire from apparent light strikes with WWB 9mm, We put the rounds into other guns and they fired. First Ruger I've fired but wouldn't buy

greener

Post by greener » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Failures to fire sound more like maintenance/cleaning issues although some pistols do not do well with some ammo. For SD, use what it shoots well.

Some striker fired pistols have safeties some do not. The SR9 has a safety and an articulated trigger. My M&P has an articulated trigger as a safety. I think all are pretty safe as long as you don't play with the trigger.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:34 pm

"keep your booger hook off the bang switch" is a good way to remember that... I would have to aggree on the use the safety/decocker to lower the hammer. I own and have carried a sig on duty over the years and the decocker is the only way to lower it safely. on My PPK/S you can see where the safety / decocker actually blocks the firing pin from moving foreward when the slide is removed. the only striker fired guns that I know of off hand that can be decocked are the original walther p99/ smith and wesson sw99 family that has a decock BUTTON in the slide.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks for the info guys. I use the P89DC the same way that I use the Colt .38 sp . What mainly got me in that habbit was when I was tracking hogs I didn't want to use the decocker becuase there really loud, plus I'd never had a gun w/ the decocker so it's just habbit to lower the hammer like all my other pistols like greener said, very carefully. Sometimes I wish it didn't have the decocker cuase it gets in the way of the holster. When I shoot the P89 I usually cock it the first shot cuase I too like the shorter stroke. I'll show yall some pitures of some of my more elegant guns the more I talk to you guys, but overall I do like this gun alot. I wasn't trying to turn this topic into a safety discussion.