BREAKING IN NEW PISTOL

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:37 pm

Len you're absolutely correct, I should have clearly stated that this is a target load set to run in my wadcutter gun. I will add that this gun has a slide mounted Ultra dot scope attached. This load of 4.2 grns Green Dot should not be considered for a self defense round.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:48 pm

Bullseye wrote:Len you're absolutely correct, I should have clearly stated that this is a target load set to run in my wadcutter gun. I will add that this gun has a slide mounted Ultra dot scope attached. This load of 4.2 grns Green Dot should not be considered for a self defense round.

R,
Bullseye
Right you are my friend, by the way my full size SA is a real nice shooter with my loads and spring setup, with very little muzzle flip on the way back and barely discernible muzzle dip on return too battery due to the light recoil spring. My 200 LSWC loads are a fairly healthy practice load but for self defense I normally use Federal Hi Shok 230 grain JHP's or Speer Gold Dot short barrel 230 grain GDHP Hollow Points in warm weather and in the winter CorBon Powrball 185 grain because of heavy winer clothing that will just block up a regular HP load. Hope that I am nevver forced to use them but if I have to iI will, my mentor has traned me well, as he has been ther.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:12 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
Bullseye wrote:Len you're absolutely correct, I should have clearly stated that this is a target load set to run in my wadcutter gun. I will add that this gun has a slide mounted Ultra dot scope attached. This load of 4.2 grns Green Dot should not be considered for a self defense round.

R,
Bullseye
Right you are my friend, by the way my full size SA is a real nice shooter with my loads and spring setup, with very little muzzle flip on the way back and barely discernible muzzle dip on return too battery due to the light recoil spring. My 200 LSWC loads are a fairly healthy practice load but for self defense I normally use Federal Hi Shok 230 grain JHP's or Speer Gold Dot short barrel 230 grain GDHP Hollow Points in warm weather and in the winter CorBon Powrball 185 grain because of heavy winer clothing that will just block up a regular HP load. Hope that I am nevver forced to use them but if I have to iI will, my mentor has traned me well, as he has been ther.
So you feel quite comfortable using HP's in your 1911, Len?
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:45 am

So you feel quite comfortable using HP's in your 1911, Len?
Yes I do, at least in my Micro and my V-10. I have shot a few hundred of the Federals in my Micro and a few thousnd of the 200grain LSWC's also and this gun is totally reliable. The only problems I have ever had were with Wolf ammo as it tends to be a little on the weaks sid and once in a while an extra week round will cause it to short cycle and not eject the empt and then theslide will jam on the upcoming round in the mag. I must be lucky and just got a really good one asit will run on almost any ammo available the I have tried. CCI Blazer works well as it is a fairly hot round. Normal carry is the JHP's and winter time the CorBon OowRball.
Think I covered everything, had to take off amoment to get the Bear his morning cookies after his patrol of the back yard. Ya got to pay yer guard dog daily, he must have cookies and will not take cash, check or credit card.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:24 am

I've heard of some horror stories about BG's getting a dose of .45 hardballs and then simply refusing to go down, but such stories are usually 4-5 times told over.

Would you or any personal acquaintance in the force actually have had any such failure of the regular 230gr ball not working like it's supposed to? I've got Corbons, but still have GI'S too.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:01 am

jaeger45 wrote:I've heard of some horror stories about BG's getting a dose of .45 hardballs and then simply refusing to go down, but such stories are usually 4-5 times told over

4 or 5 times told over or maybe 4 or 5 times over told.
Evan believes in self defense ammo for 2 reasons, one to put the BG down and 2 to keep from over penetration causing damage to an innocent bystander. I follow his teachings, he has been ther 11 times and has participated in many investigations in his law enforcement and firearms instructor career. You have to take the advice of a man who has been ther.