7 (+1)

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Blue, don't think there is any place totally safe anymore. Bad guys come to the good part of town because in the bad part of town there is no good stuff to steal or rob.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:08 pm

I thought I said that. But YES, there is no safe spot any more..
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09 pm

You guys are chickens. :roll:

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks for all the input, much obliged. I don't carry the 1911. If I feel I have to carry , it's usually a .32 or .38. My 1911 is within arm's reach, so that's why I asked. Psychologically, I suppose the sound of a slide being racked would put the fear of God in somebody who's in a dark house they don't know and probably make them think twice about coming on upstairs. If they persist on coming, I have time to chamber one or just cock the hammer. I feel it's just the same as a revolver, but I put our safety in the hands of JMB's masterpiece. TJ

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Hakaman wrote:You guys are chickens. :roll:
Live, smiling chicens, no less. :)

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

:lol:
Live, smiling chicens, no less
I knew you were going to say that.
Last edited by Hakaman on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:17 pm

teejay, when upi rack the slide on a 1911 or a shotgun, yes he will hear it. Now he knows where you are<BUT, do you know where he is. Silence is ypur allie.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:23 pm

Too much to consider. If I'm carrying for SD, then when I pull the trigger, I want it to go bang. I've worked on the Israeli draw a bit and know some folks who are darned fast with it. But I think I will stick to ready to go.

Of course, if you carry a revolver, you don't have to worry about all that. That is unless you are into the load one, skip one, load 4, don't spin the cylinder when you close it.... or whatever that SA thingy is. :lol:

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

oh, you mean my .38-40 old model clone, eh?

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Hakaman wrote:You guys are chickens.
You're scared of your gun.
teejay wrote:Thanks for all the input, much obliged. I don't carry the 1911. If I feel I have to carry , it's usually a .32 or .38. My 1911 is within arm's reach, so that's why I asked. Psychologically, I suppose the sound of a slide being racked would put the fear of God in somebody who's in a dark house they don't know and probably make them think twice about coming on upstairs.
For non-carry needs, I would keep an empty chamber or go cocked and locked on a full one. I still wouldn't lower the hammer on a live round.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:47 pm

I usually try to steer clear of these type of debates, but I can't help myself this one time.

Generally, must folks who carry and/or those who discuss the same, tend to think of bad guys as the reason to carry a firearm. Two legged varmints are my first thought too, however, four legged creatures can be just as dangerous. My wife and I love to walk/hike in various locations and I give consideration to wildlife that might cause us a problem. In our area we are most likely to encounter rabid animals, rather that large predators. We do hike where black bears and wild hogs live though. In addition and probably more likely, is the chance of encountering potentially dangerous canines. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to rack the slide while fighting off a pit bull that has knocked me to the ground.

If cocked and locked bothers you, then there are plenty of other choices in hg design to choose from. If you consider the vast numbers of law enforcement personnel who carry loaded handguns every day and do it safely, you might want to consider what they use, how they are trained, and how they carry. Plenty of these people carry concealed too.

Just my .02

y

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 am

Good comments Y..

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Hakaman wrote:
You guys are chickens.
You're scared of your gun.
Actually, the part about being chicken was all in fun. Also, I do have a healthy fear of being shot, and I want to do what I think is necessary to not let that happen. By not chambering a round is the way I feel most comfortable. I do respect the desire of chambering a round, I just don't partake in it.
Thanks, haka
Last edited by Hakaman on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:54 pm

Not scared, but most respectful. Decided to leave chamber empty. My situation is such that I have two little guard dogs downstairs. A Dachshund and a chihuahua. Nose AND ears. The BG won't even get in before these two will alert. Plenty time to chamber a round, Dogs yapping alerts and slide being racked gotta be discouraging. Thanks for all your input most interesting, special thanks for Perazzi for being so succinct :lol: TJ

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:54 pm

There is nothing like a good dog to warn you when things aren't right. Then the BG needs to worry about the homeowner.

Y