Carry-Ability gun

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:08 am

Hakaman wrote:
Do you mean it is better or worse?
that pretty much goes w/o saying, but, definitely worse. Especially with all the unemployment going on. One really has to watch his back these days.
H
You mean things have gone downhill since Kwame left? I'm sure he would be glad to return for another term as mayor. :lol:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:00 am

greener wrote:
Hakaman wrote:
Do you mean it is better or worse?
that pretty much goes w/o saying, but, definitely worse. Especially with all the unemployment going on. One really has to watch his back these days.
H
You mean things have gone downhill since Kwame left? I'm sure he would be glad to return for another term as mayor. :lol:
I'll bet he would.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:41 am

you know, that's a sad thought. I bet the people of detroit would vote in KK if he ran again. I just don't understand the reasoning when it comes to electing officials in the COD. I have been to two different big 3 assembly plants in the last month. Both are like ghost towns, in fact, they are tearing them down as we speak. It's an eerie feeling when you realize what these plants "were" at one time, and what they aren't now. Michigan put to much stock in the auto industry. With the city of Detroit into so much corruption, you can see why michigan is hurting. :cry: what's this have to do with carry-ability??? Well, an individual better find a good carry gun to protect himself from all the unemployed outlaws that are looking for a victim.
I'm off to the range now.
hakaman :)usa

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:45 am

Hakaman wrote:you know, that's a sad thought. I bet the people of detroit would vote in KK if he ran again. I just don't understand the reasoning when it comes to electing officials in the COD. I have been to two different big 3 assembly plants in the last month. Both are like ghost towns, in fact, they are tearing them down as we speak. It's an eerie feeling when you realize what these plants "were" at one time, and what they aren't now. Michigan put to much stock in the auto industry. With the city of Detroit into so much corruption, you can see why michigan is hurting. :cry: what's this have to do with carry-ability??? Well, an individual better find a good carry gun to protect himself from all the unemployed outlaws that are looking for a victim.
hakaman :)usa
Got to agree there, Hak. You should see the empty fields where some of the auto plants used to be here in Saginaw.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:49 pm

My pocket carry gun has it's companion: A Galco Front Pocket Horsehide Holster. I have been carrying bare in the front pocket, and it really isn't too bad that way. But when I slip the PM-9 into the holster, it really stabilizes it's location in a consistent sort of way. I almost forget it's there sometimes. (Almost)
Haka

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:25 pm

nice looking holster, can you re-holster in-pocket, or does the holster have to be placed on the gun, then the pair stuck in a pocket?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Yes I can BFD, but it's a little difficult. My hand is a little big, and with the gun in my hand, I have to manipulate a little (carefully). I have been carrying without a round chambered, and feel more comfortable that way. If I sense I need to be "on guard" more, I will chamber it.
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Hakaman wrote:Yes I can BFD, but it's a little difficult. My hand is a little big, and with the gun in my hand, I have to manipulate a little (carefully). I have been carrying without a round chambered, and feel more comfortable that way. If I sense I need to be "on guard" more, I will chamber it.
Haka
Hak, you are being extra safe to the point where it could be hazardous to you health. You are taking a hand gun and making it into a HANDS gun, what if you have too use your other hand to fend off the bad guy or push you lady out of harms way, you might just as well carry a rock nd hey are a lot cheaper. Do you only put A in your spare if you expect to get a flat. Unforeseen things happen instantly. I carry a 1911 cocked and locked every day an a loaded P3AT also, my men leeways carries 3 guns, I have taken his adzvice as he has many years Esperance on self defense and training of security officers. ust my opinion, othrs most likely will vary.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:21 pm

Us folks who carry revolvers and can remember that load one skip one thingy always carry ready to fire. I think if the fire arm is holstered you shouldn't have a problem accidentally touching off a round. I put my snubbie back in the pocket holster with the holster out of the pocket.

I've seen some folks who were pretty good and darned quick with the Israeli draw, but they practiced continuously. Not sure that I'd ever be quick enough, especially from a pocket holster.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:04 pm

The geezer and dog raise a valid point, Hakaman.
Do the Kahrs have a striker indicator, or any other way to determine if the trigger was actuated? If so, some abuse while in the holster with a snap-cap in the chamber may be in order ... make sure there is no live ammo in the gun or mag, load a single snap-cap into the magazine, chamber the snap-cap, holster the pistol, and abuse it like crazy ... trying to pull the trigger through the holster. It should take an extraordinary and unreasonable effort to accomplish the feat of pulling the trigger through the holster.

I understand that a safety-less pistol can be a bit pucker-inducing at first*, but if you treat the holster as the safety, you should be good to go with a round in the pipe. My CC (Walther PPS) generally gets loaded up, holstered, and I leave it in there until I want it, which minimizes the slight possibility of a ND ... and I NEVER take it out if I'm distracted, firearms handling (much like driving) is a 100% attention activity.

Now, back to my previous question ... if you can't reliably get the pistol into the holster without a snag or fumbling, DO pull out the holster to re-insert your pistol.

*(hell, I have a NAA mini ... no trigger guard, even)

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:38 pm

BTW, nice looking holster, Hakaman

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Part of the reason I don't chamber a round is the fact I am new to the "carry" discipline. Also, if I were to go into a neighborhood where the crime is more likely, then I would chamber a round. I know I can't always trust this method, but it does help the odds. I do have some 9mm snap caps, and I give that a try as well. Thanks for the compliment on the new holsteer, I like it as well. Galco makes good (expensive) stuff. I also have a tiny belt holster that I like as well, and with winter coming, it might be used as well.
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:19 am

Hakaman wrote: Also, if I were to go into a neighborhood where the crime is more likely, then I would chamber a round. I know I can't always trust this method, but it does help the odds.
Haka
If I were going to go into an area where crime was more prevalent, I would just not go there. The BG's come to the good parts of town because that's where the good stuff is, there is nothing left where they are.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:43 am

If I were going to go into an area where crime was more prevalent, I would just not go there. The BG's come to the good parts of town because that's where the good stuff is, there is nothing left where they are.
I was just down in nasty part of Detroit the other day, 7mile and hoover. I seen so many boarded up houses that the plywood companies must be doing quite well. There were also burnt out homes, and homes without any windows in them, open to the outside air. Kwame helped out his own people didn't he, NOT. I wish I could carry, but work doesn't allow it. I would be fired if they caught me. Retirement can't come soon enough! Sort-a sad to wish for retirement to come, but there is a worse retirement that could happen.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:43 pm

It's not a good habit to carry without one in the pipe. In most cases when you ever need it, it will be very in an expected area. Do test the holster out to make your comfortable, and that it protect the trigger. Then carry one in the pipe full time. I never unload my gun. It stays loaded up to the time I clean it. When I take it off, its goes on top of my nightstand. When I get dressed it's comes with me as part of my wardrobe. If I need to go into a building that does not allow it it goes in the lock box I keep in my van. I reholster it when I come out.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911