Kimber Eclipse Custom II: Sighting Issue

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

redwing

Kimber Eclipse Custom II: Sighting Issue

Post by redwing » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Greetings from a new member,

I am a newbie to bullseye shooting and have been practicing at least once weekly since the beginning of the summer, still pretty bad but totally hooked! All my work so far has been w my 22/45, but a few weeks ago my brother-in-law loaned me his Kimber .45 to begin working with. Even more fun! Here is my question, this model has the fixed tritium sights. Using a sighting-in target, firing from a sandbag rest at 25 yds the hold for this gun seems to be 6:00 at about 6-8 inches below the point of impact. I used both Winchester USA 230 gr FMJ as well as Federal American Eagle (same bullet) factory ammo, they were within an inch or so. Laterally the gun seems to be dead on, but this hold seems to be pretty low to me (but what do I know?). Does this sound about right to you all or do you or is there something wacky about this gun's sights?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:24 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

No this sounds about right for this style of sights. Remember these are not target sights, they are primarily designed to be combat sights.

R,
Bullseye

redwing

Post by redwing » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:25 pm

Bullseye wrote:Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

No this sounds about right for this style of sights. Remember these are not target sights, they are primarily designed to be combat sights.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks Bullseye.

Will likely eventually risk my marriage and get a gun designed for the purpose, but for now, when what I am really working on is sight picture, trigger pull, etc.. the Kimber is fine (and hard to beat for the price!)...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:21 pm

You can do all that with your 22/45 and you don't have to break the bank learning to shoot accurately. Shooting a centerfire pistol is slightly different than a rimfire, but the basic marksmanship techniques are the same for both models. Save a little money at a time and eventually you'll have enough set aside for a good target 1911.

A lot of folks are watching their discretionary income as these economic times are a little harder than the past. I see a lot of SUVs up "for sale by owner" lately which is demonstrating how much gas prices are biting into many peoples' budgets. Don't get in trouble with your bride as that can have impacts on many levels into your shooting program.

R,
Bullseye

PISTOLERO

.22 king of pistols

Post by PISTOLERO » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:24 am

Welcome. "The .22 is generally accepted as the best arm to learn with, if you are serious about mastering the handgun" Excerpt, from 'How To Be a Handgunner' by Gil Hebard ,1962 Gun Digest.

Practice with the .22. If you have patience to wait until you are fairly proficient
you will be surprised with what you can do with the .45.
Listen to Bullseye's wisdom and you will learn.

Again welcome. Regards, Pistolero 8)