Ultra Dot battery cap problem

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ChuckS1

Ultra Dot battery cap problem

Post by ChuckS1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Anybody have a hard time getting the battery cap to tighten after the battery's been changed? Can't get mine to tighten without taking out the O ring?

What am I doing wrong here? Seems pretty simple to me and now I feel like an idiot. The cap seems like pretty light aluminum and I'm worried about stripping the threads or pushing down too hard and screwing it up.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:52 am

Welcome to Guntalk-Online Chuck!

I haven't had any problems with the battery compartment in my Ultra Dots. But let me check a few and see if I can offer some suggestions for you. I'll get back on this later tonight.

R,
Bullseye

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Put a light coating of Vaseline on the o ring. Then try it.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

ChuckS1

Post by ChuckS1 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks for the help.

In the meantime, I got a new replacement cap from Larry's Guns. Seemed to fit tight, but when I fired the 6th round of 3.6 grains of Bullseye and a 200 grain LSWC, the new battery cap came flying off. BTW, I have a slide mount, not a frame mount.

So, guess it's off to Larry's Guns in Maine to see if this will be covered by the warranty.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:34 pm

My 1911 has a slide mount Ultra Dot and I have never experienced a failure like that. In all my years on the firing line, I have never witnessed a battery cap come off of an Ultra Dot scope. There must be a problem with your scope tube cap receptacle or the cap itself, for the cap to dislodge and fly off in so few rounds. Not being able to inspect this part, it would be unprofessional for me to blindly speculate on a cure. I believe that you have a good plan by seeking out the distributor for a remedy with your problem. UD stands by their product and I'm sure they'll make it right.

R,
Bullseye

ChuckS1

Post by ChuckS1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:38 pm

Thanks again for the replies. Sent it off to Larry's this afternoon, so hopefully I'll get it back in the not-too-distant future.

In the meantime, just got a new drilled and tapped Model 41 barrel and 1" UD from Gil Hebard to keep me occupied. Can't say enough about how nice the folks are there. This is my second purchase from Gil Hebard and for my money, they've got a customer for life.