Rock River Arms

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Rock River Arms

Post by Python » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Well I decided to focus on getting a RRA wad gun(PS2100 model).
Well I thought I would place an order and wait 6-8 months.
Nope, they are not taking anymore orders as of yesterday for the .45's
What timing, huh ?

Well I went ahead and called yesterday and they said that they had one left in stock.

My FFL ordered it today and I will see it next week.
Ordered an Ultradot Match dot 30mm tonight from Larry's(he has the best prices).

Was not ready to dump that cash so quickly, but do not know when RRA will take orders again.(but anyway, it is coming).

Clarence;

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:25 pm

Timing can be everything. When you get it you won't be disappointed.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:40 pm

I've had the pleasure of firing that model, you will be very pleased :P The ball piece I use was originally going to be an RRA but some stuff happened and now its a LB.
The quoted wait time on LBs 1911s is 6 - 8 weeks. I guess thats because LB is more dedicated to making 1911s where as RRA is more towards ARs, but who knows -- not me thats for sure :oops:

I have the UD Match-dot, VERY pleased with it :D

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Got her this week and installed the 30mm Match Dot with a set of Leupold low mount, matte finish, quick release rings.

Loaded 50 rds of 200 gr LSWC over 4.2 gr of Bullseye.

All 50 rnds went without a hitch.
This trigger is sweet.
This gun is accurate.
I am very pleased :D
The Match Dot will take some getting used to, since all I have ever shot was with iron sight(but I was hitting the X at 50ft quite often).
Now to load up and go out and practice, practice, practice.

Now with the M41 and the RRA(waiting to get accepted to a gun club here in town)I am ready to practice and start competing shortly.

I need to get outdoors so I can set up for 25 and 50 yds(but the indoor 50ft practice is good(the way I see it is if I cannot hit the X at 50ft, well how the heck can I hit it at 50 yds).

Can you tell that I am excited :lol:

Practical pistol was what I wanted to get into about 4 years ago, but got into competative Skeet shooting for the last 3 1/2 years(I did very well in a short period of time and happy with the results).
I will still shoot Skeet tournaments but will definitely be practicing and competing with the pistols also.

By the way, pistol shooting is cheaper than Skeet shooting in the long run and this was also a deciding factor for coming back to pistols.

Take care everyone, will keep you posted on the RRA :wink:

Clarence;

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:02 am

That's a very pretty gun. Sounds like you're all ready for a 2700 bullseye match. Shooting at 50' is a good way to cut your teeth in competition. Bullseye shooting is one of the best ways to get some good quality trigger time in and then you can be competitive in any pistol discipline.

Getting used to shooting a red dot takes a little time. Once you settle in with that type of scope, you'll be hooked.

Happy shooting!

R,
Bullseye

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:44 pm

Great looking RRA. Please tell me about the mounting base you have on your 1911...
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:36 pm

Thanks guys, I am real pleased with it so far.

I think that I will drop to 4.0 gr of BE and see if it still functions good and stays accurate(wanted to start with 4.2 gr cause of the weight of the scope and the steel Leupold rings).
So far 150 rds without a hiccup.

OpsMgr;
That Weaver rail came on the gun from RRA(gun model PS2100).
It is of a non ferrous metal with 4 hex machine screws attaching it to the slide.

Clarence;

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:45 pm

Very nice setup you have there.

I'm shooting a modified Springfield Loaded Target with an Ultra Dot Match dot as well.

Outdoors I'm shooting 200gr LSWC's with 4.2gr of WST at 50 yards and 3.9gr's at 25 yards. Sticking with the 3.9 for indoors.

Your scoring should be very close indoors or out. 50 yards is a lot farther than 50ft.....but then again the 50 yard target is a lot bigger. :) . As long as your gun is up to the task (and yours certainly is). You'll see a bigger wobble with your dot at 50 yards....but don't let that shake you....again....it's a bigger target.

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:10 am

Well I had one failure to feed the other day in 200 rds.

Looked like the mouth of the brass caught maybe the hood and dinged it.

I normally do not crimp my ball ammo but with the wadcutter I decided to taper crimp to .469"

I think that this might keep it from happening again.

What say you experts ?

I did drop to 4.0gr of BE and wondered if it just did not have the ooph to carry the slide and bullet forward, but am not thinking that was the issue...

I seat my 200gr SWC so there is about .002-.003" of the lead showing above the case mouth.

By the way, I ordered som 200gr SWC from Hotshot the other day to try out.(I decided against the moly coat type for now, but at the next gun show here in town may get a few for samples to try out).

Clarence;

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:25 am

Crimping is essential for smooth operation of reloaded ammunition in autopistols. During the resizing process the case mouth is flared and it needs to be crimped back into shape. To check for smooth operation, remove the barrel and drop check samples of your ammo to ensure smooth feeding.

R,
Bullseye

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Python wrote:Well I had one failure to feed the other day in 200 rds.

Looked like the mouth of the brass caught maybe the hood and dinged it.

I normally do not crimp my ball ammo but with the wadcutter I decided to taper crimp to .469"

I think that this might keep it from happening again.

What say you experts ?

I did drop to 4.0gr of BE and wondered if it just did not have the ooph to carry the slide and bullet forward, but am not thinking that was the issue...

I seat my 200gr SWC so there is about .002-.003" of the lead showing above the case mouth.

By the way, I ordered som 200gr SWC from Hotshot the other day to try out.(I decided against the moly coat type for now, but at the next gun show here in town may get a few for samples to try out).

Clarence;

What # recoil spring are you using? With my setup I'm using a 13# Wolff.

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:57 pm

Adam, I am not sure, I would have to contact RRA and find out.

Looking at the offending bullet, I would have to say that it was due to no crimp.

I went back up to 4.2gr of BE and taper crimped.
So far no more problems.

By the way, I joined a club here in Phoenix that is hosting the Arizona practical pistol championships this weekend.

I am going to be the line safety officer to help out and get an idea and feeling of how these matches are done.

So next month will be my first practice match and then my first 2700 match for score.

I just need to sight in for 25 and 50yds, cause all I have shot is indoor at 50-70 feet.

Is there much sight adjustment difference between the 25 and 50 yrd lines ?

Clarence;

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Python wrote:Adam, I am not sure, I would have to contact RRA and find out.

Looking at the offending bullet, I would have to say that it was due to no crimp.

I went back up to 4.2gr of BE and taper crimped.
So far no more problems.

By the way, I joined a club here in Phoenix that is hosting the Arizona practical pistol championships this weekend.

I am going to be the line safety officer to help out and get an idea and feeling of how these matches are done.

So next month will be my first practice match and then my first 2700 match for score.

I just need to sight in for 25 and 50yds, cause all I have shot is indoor at 50-70 feet.

Is there much sight adjustment difference between the 25 and 50 yrd lines ?

Clarence;

Should just be a couple clicks....but every setup is a little different.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:20 am

Typically the sight adjustments between 50 and 25 yards is 4-5 clicks with a Bowmar style sight on a 1911 pistol. This is assuming the shooter is using the same aming point on the targets.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Bullseye, out of curiosity what aiming point do you use with irons? There are no bullseye shooters (aside from myself) at my range, so unfortuately I have no one to ask in person :cry:

Sorry to drag this more off topic, but atleast this time i didn't start it :lol: