Old Eyes, Cheap Red Dots and Big Bore Handguns

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Old Eyes, Cheap Red Dots and Big Bore Handguns

Post by Downeaster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:18 pm

Well, I've been forced to admit it, my eyes are getting old. Not me, just my eyes... :roll:

I hadda put a Red Dot on my new Henry rifle cuz even with my shootin' specs on, I can't see the dang sight clearly enough to shoot a decent group.

I absolutely love the red dots on my MKII and my Single Six, and I'm seriously contemplating putting one on my Combat Commander.

The 'dots on my .22's are cheapo BSA units, under $40 each. Cheap is good as long as they work, and I can't see me putting a scope on a gun that cost more than the gun.

So, my question is, if I use an "under the grips" type mount so the scope isn't getting whacked around by the slide, is an inexpensive red dot likely to survive on a .45?

Yes, I know a big-name high-dollar scope is going to be better, but times is tough...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:30 pm

Lots of shock involved with the .45, a cheap scope likely won't hold up very well. There's nothing worse than looking through the scope and the dot has disappeared in the middle of a string. I've seen lots of problems with the battery caps and intensity knobs with the less expensive dot scopes. They just can't take the strain of the big bore pistols. I've used the grip mount style scope rails and they have their disadvantages along with the benefits of keeping the scope off of the slide. You can always try it but the scope may not last very long.

R,
Bullseye

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am

Thanks, Bullseye.

After posting that, I did some research on mounts for 1911's and the grip type didn't get good reviews for a number of reasons. They were significantly pricier than I expected as well.

I guess I'll table that idea...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Seriously I would just splurge for an Ultra Dot. They will take a pounding and keep on truckin......plus you get that LIFETIME warranty. And really.....for what you get they are not priced that bad....I've seen worse for more. I have mine mounted on the slide of my .45.

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:01 pm

I am not a dot shooter but I tend to be the guy they come to when the gun "doesn't want to be sighted in".

The bottom line is the cheaper dots are not accurate enough for bullseye work. This is discussed in some detail here:
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

Now, that doesn't mean a given cheap dot sight isn't more accurate than your hold, so if you just want to do some occasional shooting and hit the paper, any dot sight will do.

As to durability, I don't know.

But I second those who say the ultradots hold their value well. Actually if its a bullseye gun it might sell better with an ultradot already mounted, when the time comes.