Blackhawk Convertible 9mm

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Blackhawk Convertible 9mm

Post by greener » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Tried some 125 gr Speer molycoated 9mm bullets loaded with 3.9gr of Tightgroup in the BH yesterday. I've been very dissatisfied with the way my 125 gr cast bullets shot from the BH other than 9mm rounds loaded with .38 special bullets. The six Speer bullets gave me a 2" group at 15 yards. Makes me wonder if the softer lead compensates for the difference in bore-bullet diameter.

Also fired some 125 gr cast bullets the other shooter was having problems with with his Beretta: erratic and some key holes. Out of the Blackhawk I got what looked like 3 two shot groups at 8 o'clock on the lower corner of an 8.5 x 11 sheet, bull, and 2 o'clock on the upper right corner. On closer inspection I had three keyholes. Looked like the bullets came out of the BH sideways. The cardboard backer was so chewed up I couldn't tell where the other bullets went, but I have very high confidence they went in the general direction I was shooting. :lol:

I guess serendipity works at times. I'd intended to shoot .38 specials and didn't check which cylinder I had in the BH closely enough.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Greener, my young friend, I think I have the solution to your problem. Tke that 9mm cylinder and pace it in your left hand, the walk out into the garage and lift the lid of the trash can with your right hand and deposit the cylinder ther with your left. Slam the lid shut with your right and walk away and forget it. Remember the old day when I rode dirt bikes and they built dual purpose bikes. Definition of dual purpose is something the does more than one thing equally poorly and nothing well.

:D :D :D :D
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:00 pm

That's one of the things to do. The other is to futz around with it until I figure it out. The guy that gave me the really bad rounds was trying to shoot up his last hundred or so rather than go through the bullet puller. The Speer rounds shot pretty good.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:18 pm

greener wrote:That's one of the things to do. The other is to futz around with it until I figure it out. The guy that gave me the really bad rounds was trying to shoot up his last hundred or so rather than go through the bullet puller. The Speer rounds shot pretty good.
Tell you what my friend, I will solve your problem for you. Just send me that 9mm cylinder and the next time I drive over the bridge to go to my club I will send it in a fishing trip, to bother you nevermore. Still can't figure out why you even want to use that one when the .38 Sp works so well. Why not just use the .38 bullets in the 9mm cases. Now remember this offer expires in 30 days. Missed out on the 9422 I was dealing on, some idiot payed the full price the other day, he wanted 400 and I offered 350, figured an extra 100 would get me an all steel gun, so now I will probably ju Hell. I am old enough to be a collector item. st buy a Henry when the weather warms up ands save a 100 for ammo. I really just want a shooter, not worried about collector or value at my age. Remember 2 great things came to this world in 1932 , me and the 32 Ford Coupe.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:46 pm

What's the fun in having a convertible if you only ride with the top up? But you are right, it's better spending time enjoying the .38 special and developing some .357 loads. :lol:

They probably still have that big loop centerfire at On Target in KZ. Just a grand or so higher than you offered on the 9422. One of those "behind the counter guns" so I didn't get real close to it.

Still having second thoughts. The Gander Mountain in Portage had a BH .357 for $270 and an SBH .44 for $290. The .44 would have been a nice addition.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:52 pm

greener wrote:What's the fun in having a convertible if you only ride with the top up? But you are right, it's better spending time enjoying the .38 special and developing some .357 loads. :lol:

They probably still have that big loop centerfire at On Target in KZ. Just a grand or so higher than you offered on the 9422. One of those "behind the counter guns" so I didn't get real close to it.

Still having second thoughts. The Gander Mountain in Portage had a BH .357 for $270 and an SBH .44 for $290. The .44 would have been a nice addition.
Both of them sound like a good deal, especially the .357. Then you would have 2, and all you need then is a .357 Henry lever gun and a Stoeger coach gun in 12 gage, some leather, hat and boots, jeans and western shirt and Badass Bob is born, and ready to join SASS. Wonder if they would allow that alias?

Clem

Post by Clem » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:15 am

I took out my stainless 6 1/2" barreled .357 NMBH and tried the 9mm cylinder I have for it. I used elchepo CCI Blazer ammo. I was very pleasantly surprised that it shot nearly as well with the 9mm as it did with the .357 mag.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Hmm. Could be my reloads giving me fits. I might have to (gasp) purchase ammo to give it a try. Thanks.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:55 pm

greener wrote:Hmm. Could be my reloads giving me fits. I might have to (gasp) purchase ammo to give it a try. Thanks.
Nooooo, buying factory ammo is a sacrilege, or worse, you should be stoned, or at least have the crap slapped out of you. But then it may be the answer, or use some .358 dia. lead bullets. I have some 138 full wadcutters that shoot great in my 50th Anny Black Hawk.
Only 3 more to go now!!!!!!!!!

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:03 pm

You are getting there.

I've reloaded 125gr lfp .38 special in my 9mm cases. Seem to do better. Guess if I want to try commercial bullets, I should trade for a few at the range, huh?