Choose only one!

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Which One - S&W or Ruger?

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:24 pm

arizona-hermit wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: Good to hear from you again Hermit, it has beeb a while , eh?
I have been so 'busy' with things (you know - "Do this do that... no I meant to say do this...") that my forum browsing has suffered.

The wife and I have made several new shooting friends lately, so the fun time at the range has been dramatically extended.

SO much to do... so little time.
Don't take that much to keep an old man busy anyway.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Re: Which One - S&W or Ruger?

Post by greener » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 pm

arizona-hermit wrote:There really is no choice for me... Ruger all the way.

Why? I have owned over a hundred Ruger weapons over the past 5 decades and never had a problem with ANY of them.

I have owned three S&W revolvers and two pistols in the same five decades and had problems with each and every one of them. The absolute worst revolver I ever owned was a S&W model 29 in 44 magnum. After less than 1,000 rounds down the tube, the rifling was completely gone (no joke). The tube looked just like a shotgun barrel. Took me nearly a year to get the Rod and Gun (Germany) folks to get it replaced by S&W. The week the replacement arrived, I traded it off for a very nice Ruger side by side 12.

Just my .02
Good to see that you've found time to hit the fora, AH.

I'm surprised by the quality problems with your S&W's. I have 5 and they've all done pretty well. I have an 80+ year-old S&W M&P .38 special. Shoots very well and has had zero maintenance other than cleaning since about 1932. I just got a 65-4 that is a nice, no problem shooter. My son has a 4" 629 that is one of the best shooting revolvers I've seen. When we leave the range he searches my range bag. (Must have gotten that lack of trust from his mother. :lol: )

But...

Like you, I really like Rugers. My favorite revolver is a GP100 closely followed by a Blackhawk .45. I can't say anything bad about S&W, but if I were making a choice between an S&W and a Ruger, I'd more than likely get the Ruger.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:45 am

I'm surprised by the quality problems with your S&W's. I have 5 and they've all done pretty well. I have an 80+ year-old S&W M&P .38 special. Shoots very well and has had zero maintenance other than cleaning since about 1932. I just got a 65-4 that is a nice, no problem shooter. My son has a 4" 629 that is one of the best shooting revolvers I've seen. When we leave the range he searches my range bag. (Must have gotten that lack of trust from his mother.
But...
Like you, I really like Rugers. My favorite revolver is a GP100 closely followed by a Blackhawk .45. I can't say anything bad about S&W, but if I were making a choice between an S&W and a Ruger, I'd more than likely get the Ruger.
Some good comments, I like my S&W alot. Some talk of the safety hole on the side plate, but I don't even see it there when I'm shooting. It's insignificant. To each his own. I would like to get a back up revolver, this time a Ruger. I wish I could get my hand on a SP100 in 38sp+. I also like the New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt / .45 Auto Convertible . Revolvers are cool because you don't have to chase the brass around, crawling on your knees, bending over, and searching forever.
h

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:17 am

Just buy them both.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:23 am

Yleefox wrote:Just buy them both.
I would, that is the easisest way to solve tthat decision problem,
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:43 am

You guys do have a good point. It took alot on your part, but, you might have just talked me into it. I don't have a s/a revolver yet, and I think the Ruger BH convertable would be a great place to start. For some reason, the SP101 seems like it should be in my pocket as well.
H

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Since I was never into "cowboy" guns, I would get the Smith. Once I got it, I put some real wood grips on it. I hate those finger jobs that they're putting on their guns now. Funny thing, I never shoot DA. I always shoot a revolver SA. TJ

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Since I was never into "cowboy" guns, I would get the Smith. Once I got it, I put some real wood grips on it. I hate those finger jobs that they're putting on their guns now. Funny thing, I never shoot DA. I always shoot a revolver SA. TJ
Thanks for your input TJ. I actually bought the S&W, and after getting the bugs out, I am totally satisfied. Just yesterday I shot some of my 38sp reloads. I load them a little light for comfortable shooting, and the guys poke a little fun saying, "that sounds like a 22lr" ha ha ha . Then I load it up with some magnum loads and I get the last laugh. It literally will quiet anybody up as the concussion and bang are quite overwhelming to the unsuspecting heckler. It only takes 5 rounds to work. 8) I love the the gun because of the load versatility and the simplicity of a revolver. It is also very accurate with it's 6 inch barrel, and it's simple to clean. Great gun. I am looking at getting (someday) the Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible in 45acp/45colt. I just love how easy it is to recover the brass for a revolver compared to a semi auto.
H