Desert Warrior

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Desert Warrior

Post by Hakaman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:24 pm

I have been considering a 1911 to add to my arsenal (little bunch so far). There is so many options when you consider manufacturers, accesseries, and so on. I rented a "Desert Warrier" by Kimber today, and it was quite a pleasure to say the least. Being a stainless steal gun, it's weight offset the recoil to a comfortable level. At 7 yds, I could hit the 3" center at will. Something I have a hard time doing with my Beretta M9. After 100 rds, 45 AUTO 230GR FMJ, there was 1 ftf. Maybe it wasn't clean? I would have shot 100 more, but it was too expensive. Have to get a reloading friend.
Toooo many options, haka

greener

Post by greener » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 am

My first outing with the military issue Beretta was a weapons qual and we didn't get along well at all. I much prefer a 1911.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:54 am

I'm no fan of the Beretta, maybe I'm too much 'old school' for the good old 45 slabsides.

If considering a purchase on a 1911, try keeping it simple. Springfield makes some nice quality production pistols. They are also a good base gun if you decide to accurize it later on.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 am

greener wrote:My first outing with the military issue Beretta was a weapons qual and we didn't get along well at all. I much prefer a 1911.
Actually, I think you really prefer weapons where close is good enough. Them big bores, 105mm and above. :D :) :o
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 am

since I am the "junior shooter" among these posting...
but... my 0.22 worth:

consider one of the 'basic 1911' models...
1. Springfield Armory 'Mil Spec' model
2. Auto-Ordnance 1911a1
3. Rock Island (imported from Philipines )
add a couple Wilson-Combat mags...
get acquainted with it... and remember that M.Browning
"designed" the pistol to cycle/shoot ".45acp 230gr Hardball"
so stay with that initially...
WMT sells Blazer-brass (not the "aluminium" ) for about $16/50

you can see my 'Santa Carry' thread for some details...
The Kimber and plastic ".45 caliber" pistols are great...
but.. I'm just suggesting a learning-path...
good luck... --toy

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Well said Junior, now behave or we will send you to stand in a corner and no electronic toys for a week.
For the money spent I do not think you can beat the Springfiled guns, now I did look at and shoot a Taurus at my old indoor club shortly after they came out and it looked good. The Greener has one and has had no problems.
The Blazer ammo is good either the brass or the aluminum if you do not intend to reload. Wolf, with the steel case works well also and the case will never damage you gun either. Have shot a lot of the Wolf and ther Blazer a few years ago, the Blazer will run any gun as it is loaded a little on the hot side. The only problems that I had with Wold is that it is just a little erratic and now and then you will get a slightly weak load, it will run fine in a full size gun but will fail to cycle the short barrel guns, so I just quit using it. I handload my own practice ammo and when I got a round that would consistently run the Micro, I stayed with it.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:30 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:My first outing with the military issue Beretta was a weapons qual and we didn't get along well at all. I much prefer a 1911.
Actually, I think you really prefer weapons where close is good enough. Them big bores, 105mm and above. :D :) :o
Holsters are darned expensive, but they do well. Close in a "beehive" does well and at a respectable shooting distance (2-6 miles) you have a number of choices. Reloading is a snap, you don't need fancy presses. :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:35 pm

I like my Taurus and my son's Springfield Mil-Spec. He did have to redo his trigger after shooting the Taurus. When I bought the Taurus, I was trolling for a reasonably priced Mil-Spec. I've also liked all the Kimber's I've fired, just a tad pricey for me.

Come to think of it, I haven't found a 1911 I didn't like.

I don't recall ever firing one of the tupperware .45's. Came close to buying an M&P45 but got sidetracked by a Ruger P90.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:48 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
Holsters are darned expensive, but they do well. Close in a "beehive" does well and at a respectable shooting distance (2-6 miles) you have a number of choices. Reloading is a snap, you don't need fancy presses. :lol:
Sure must take a lot of cowhides to make a holster for a 155? Loading is easy especially for a big strong young man, just chuck in a projectile and a couple of bags of powder, prime the thing close the breech and fire away.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:33 pm

Well, I have been thinking about the .45 vs 9mm situation, and have pretty much decided on a 9mm(at least for now anyway). I am not much of a carry person, and I have yet to commit myself to home defense usage. It's a spiritual thing for me. I like the 9mm for it's low recoil, and lower price than .45 cal. So, while checking the local gun store, they had these two 9's in stock. I really like the accessories of both, except for the lack of front strap cherkering on "both" models. Is front strap checkering something that is great to have on your 1911? Both guns are sweet, but which would you buy over the other?

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/kimber.html
http://www.proguns.com/springfieldarmor ... target.asp
Last edited by Hakaman on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:37 am

Hakaman: just wait until your fresh-snow goes away and
go shoot O'mans .45s before you make up your mind...

the .45 -vs- 9mm "situation" is easier than you think...
it's actually more of 'which one to get first'... :P

aren't you impressed with how generous *I am* with O'mans
"stuff" ?? :lol:

-- toy

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:16 am

Oh, rodent refuse, it snew again last night. Must be 4 inches or so of that white stuff out there, got to get out and start my little snow thrower and clean the walks and drive off. Got to look good for the rest of the neighbors, I got 4 wheel drive I really do not have to clean snow. Sometime around teh 4th of July it should be gone, I sure hope so.

Toy: as far as 9's, I thought I did not own one but, my .380ACP P3AT, is called a 9m short in Europe, I believe. Other than .45's all my other hand guns are .22LR. Except for my 50th Anny Blackhawk in .38 Spl/.357 Mag.
Remember a 9mm will expand but a .45 WILL NEVER SHRINK.

Hakaman: it's sunny and 75 here, but that is in my living room. If you just want a shooter and are not going to reload then I would go got the 9mm. Ammo is more readily available and also a lot less expensive. I would go with the Spring field, I have 3 of them and have had no problems, besides I am not impressed with a Kinber as a name dropper. My personal opinion is that they ave over hyped and over priced.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:46 am

Hang in there, Len. Spring is on its way and summer may happen on a weekend, for those who still work. :lol:

The few Kimbers I've fired seem to be very fine pistols. There seems to be some internet complaints that Kimber quality has really dropped since they went from custom gun shop to manufacturer. Probably the "custom" guns were better than mass produced but I think some of this is the "it was better in the good old days" syndrome. I have no way to judge. When I was buying a 1911, I wouldn't spring for the cost of a Kimber and had decided on a Springfield or Taurus. Ended up with the Taurus. I can't figure out what I get on a Kimber that I didn't get with the Taurus. Kimbers are probably better, but not better enough, for me, to justify the cost difference.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:03 am

toyfj40 wrote: the .45 -vs- 9mm "situation" is easier than you think...
it's actually more of 'which one to get first'... :P

aren't you impressed with how generous *I am* with O'mans
"stuff" ?? :lol:

-- toy
I went from one handgun to a bunch after entering my second (third?) childhood a while back. I got a 9mm before I bought a .45 because I thought I needed a 9mm. I have two handguns (M&P9 and Blackhawk Convertible) that shoot 9mm. Between the two calibers, I think I'd druther have a .45. Unless I come across a 9mm at a price I just can't turn down, the M&P will probably be the only 9mm semiauto I'll own.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:50 am

Rob, I really hope that Summer does get here on a weekend so that thew guys that still are employed can enjoy it too.
As far as a 9mm, I really have one but it is not a target gun or a real shooter, it was intended to be a BUG that is what it is. I carry it because I can grab it faster than I can get another Mag in the Micro.
Guy at the club has a Kimber just like my SA Micro, he says it is very accurate at 50 yards and is just the greatest gun, but it is always home and he rarely shoots it because it is too expensive, probably saving his stuff for his old age.
All the stuff that I have been saving for my old age I AM USING IT AND HAVE BEEN FOR SOME TIME.
I should go out and take care of the snow but, the last time I looked, it was still there and doing just fine.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: