Crimson Trace Laser Sights

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Crimson Trace Laser Sights

Post by smokey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:28 pm

I have a CT laser sight on a S&W M&P 40 Compact. I can't keep them zeroed in. I set them and fire a few shots and it is 6" off again. Has anyone experienced this before?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:00 pm

My experience with CTL grips has been great. They seem to have a great reputation as well. When I have a problem shooting straight with them, guess who's fault it is? I have them on my Beretta M9 and they work perfectly, and CTC stands behind them faithfully. To answer your question, no, I haven't experienced your issue.
Haka

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I know that CT has a good reputation. I have not contacted them yet but was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. I was shooting off a benchrest to sight it in so I know it was not me. You could even tell that it moved by looking down the sights with the light on. It was that noticeable.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:06 pm

I would definately give them a call and get new ones then. They are very quick on their business.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Laser sights sounds like a good idea but, how easy are they to turn on? what if when I need it the battery is dead? tjr BG sees the red eye, now he knows where I am but I do not know where he is. These are some of the things that bother me, self defense in required will be under he worst conditions, extreme accuracy is not that important at close range, it will most likely be a point and shoot situation. Under those conditions accuracy within 2 minutes of felon will be adequate. To me they seem to be an expensive gadget to buy for more than one gun. Yes I do carry more than one gun, my mentor taught me that the fastest reload is a second gun, he normally carries three. He survived 20 year on a major city PD, so I take his words as gospel. I normally carry a short barrel 1911 and a pocket gun, sometimes even 2 short barrel 1911's.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 pm

I normally carry a short barrel 1911 and a pocket gun, sometimes even 2 short barrel 1911's.
Especially south of 8 mile rd.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Hakaman wrote:
I normally carry a short barrel 1911 and a pocket gun, sometimes even 2 short barrel 1911's.
Especially south of 8 mile rd.
Definitely, better yet a long coat and an AR or AK. My mentor used to work that area.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:18 am

Len, I have one on my M&P9. The laser comes as part of a back strap. The M&P has removable backstraps so you can change the size of the grip. There are two power switches on the back of the grip. A recessed one is the master switch. All you have to do to switch it on is push with a finger. The second switch activates the laser by grip pressure. It's pretty easy to use and the batteries have lasted a year, probably because I haven't turned it on much. Seems like a good idea for knowing that you are aiming at the BG in the dark.

I think mine is probably off a little, a couple inches at 7 yards. The down side of the CT laser I have is that it isn't powerful enough to work on a sunny day and I haven't had the M&P out when it was cloudy enough to check the laser adjustment.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:48 am

bearandoldman wrote:Laser sights sounds like a good idea but, how easy are they to turn on? what if when I need it the battery is dead? tjr BG sees the red eye, now he knows where I am but I do not know where he is. These are some of the things that bother me, self defense in required will be under he worst conditions, extreme accuracy is not that important at close range, it will most likely be a point and shoot situation. Under those conditions accuracy within 2 minutes of felon will be adequate. To me they seem to be an expensive gadget to buy for more than one gun. Yes I do carry more than one gun, my mentor taught me that the fastest reload is a second gun, he normally carries three. He survived 20 year on a major city PD, so I take his words as gospel. I normally carry a short barrel 1911 and a pocket gun, sometimes even 2 short barrel 1911's.
I agree that they are not ideal for all situations. However, you don't have to switch it on. Hand pressure on the backstrap turns it on when you grip it. You can turn it off if you want, and you can always use the iron sights if the battery is dead or if you would just rather use them. One thing that I do like about laser sights is that I can fire from any position without having to sight down the barrel.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:03 am

Think I will just stay away from them, they are great gadget for commercials and wanna be shooter to play game. I get my knowledge from my mentor who ran the indoor range I used to frequent. He survived 20 year s with a major city police department, retiring as a Detective in Homicide and was involved in 11 shootings an dis still walking and talking.. I pretty much have taken his advice as Gospel. Are ther any major City LEO"S where all of their officers use them?I'll sty with what I got and what got my friend through the police and trainin security units for the department of Energy. These are my beliefs, other opinion may and moat likely will vary.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:19 am

Point taken. I certainly respect your opinion. I try to stay open minded and think outside the box. I have to say that I'm still undecided, but probably because I'm having a problem with it. I think that I'll just forget it for today, load up my Mark lll and go have some fun :D Happy shooting

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:29 am

smokey wrote:Point taken. I certainly respect your opinion. I try to stay open minded and think outside the box. I have to say that I'm still undecided, but probably because I'm having a problem with it. I think that I'll just forget it for today, load up my Mark lll and go have some fun :D Happy shooting
Have fun Smokey, by the way old eyes really appreciate the HiViz sight I have on my guns or have altered the blade and added alight pipe.. Sure makes it easier to find the front sight.I have tried to learn from my mentors experiences as he learned the hard way, he was there. :)

greener

Post by greener » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:14 pm

They were worth trying out on one handgun, but at $200-$250 per each, it would get a bit expensive for all of them.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:28 am

greener wrote:They were worth trying out on one handgun, but at $200-$250 per each, it would get a bit expensive for all of them.
Recently cleaned my Micro and replaced the lite pipe om the sight as it had come loose again, think I have finally found the adhesive to use. Had teh gun out to the club and ran a couple of mags through it. Guy out there said, now you have t clean it again, Told him "No now I put in the SD a,,o and carry iy because now I know it works, and if I have to protect myself and shoot some BG with a dirty gun, hope they don't mark me down too far.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm right on the edge and about ready to buy the CT LG-105 for my S&W mod. 36 Chiefs Special. I've been toying with the thought for several months now. Since Uncle Obama is sending me $250, I think it's time. It's my patriotic duty to spend this cash and stimulate the economy. Right?

The sights are useless (my eyes too old). I could practice more so that pointing is natural, but that's expensive (so is the CT) and ammo is scarce. It's just nice to know that the bullet will go where the dot is at the time it fires. No need to look down the barrel or sights. Just put the dot on target and squeeze. I was torn between the J Max and the CT-105, but have decided the CT -105 will suit my purposes better. The laser only comes on only when the grip is squeezed on the CT. The J Max has an on/off switch. I know a laser will temporily blind a person, so that makes a weapon all by itself.

I will miss the Hogue grip however.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.