Sig Sauer selling P226 Air-Soft?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Sig Sauer selling P226 Air-Soft?

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:03 am

I'm a little embarrassed to be asking, but does anyone have any useful information or any experience with the Air Soft version of the P 226 that is being sold by Sig Sauer, itself ?

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Fri May 29, 2009 12:20 am

I do have a Sig P-226, however it it not the so called "air-soft" model. Now what are you concerned about with the SiG?

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 am

I'm talking of the replica-style gun that shoots small, very inexpensive, plastic "bead-like" round balls or pellets. They are called Air Soft guns. Most of them are low priced and made in Asia. They vary a great deal in quality. However, Sig-Sauer sells at least two models, one based on the Sig 226 that is supposed to be the same weight and dimensions as the firearm 226. I was wondering if anyone had one of these and could describe its quality. It might be a good way to get a lot of practice in for combat type competition.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:23 pm

I have a airsoft gun for my P229. I have the blowback model by KJW, it's ~$100. You can save your self some money buy getting it from here http://www.airsplat.com/Categories/GP.htm. I put close to 100-200 rounds a week through mine. It is a great training aid, don't let it fool you as a toy. At 400fps on a 0.2gm plastic BB will take an eye out. So make sure you were your safety glasses. If it hits a hard surface it will richoche and can come back at you. I use the propane adapter and oil to keep from buying the green gas, which gets very expensive. I have a target that allows me to capture the BB and reuse them. They tell you not too, saying they will not feed properly, have not seen this. But the way I capture these I am not deforming the BB's. If you buy BB some say to buy the black ones, because you can not see them. I have recycled my BB's over 5 times and counting now. With the cost being $12/5k at least I have ammo for it, and it's cheap to shoot.

As training aid its great for practicing draws and presentation. I'm using mine to teach my brother to shoot as well as my son who has never expressed intrest in shooting.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

That was good advice from someone who has one of these units, and I'm sure that fourCornerm'n will appreciate it.

R,
Bullseye

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sun May 31, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks. blue68, I'm very glad to get this information.

Looked up the KJW versions on the link you provided. The gun's weight is about right. The price I assume says something positive about it's quality. Wondering how good or bad the trigger pull and release are? And how smooth and realistic the slide works? Does the slide cycle quickly, compared to the real firearm? Like you I'm practicing for fast acquisition and recovery, Steel Challenge plates in this case.

I'll be using it indoors and am wondering how you've devised targets to catch the BB's? Not sure I'll recycle them, but don't want them ricocheting all around me.

Thanks again. Good start to some easy to get to, inexpensive, practice. Surprised more people don't consider this.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:57 pm

The DA pull is lower than my P229, that has action work done by Gray Guns Inc. The SA is pretty close. I have taken a look at the airsoft works and it looks like I can increase the DA trigger pull. It has a hammer spring setup real similar to the Sig. I just have not taken the time to try it, I have reduced power springs for my Sig.

As far as my BB trap.

I took a card board box and cut the center out where the target will hang. Then I suspended some upholstery leather from the top by a board. This is located about 3/4 ways back. The leather is soft enough it assorbs the energy without deforming the BB's and they drop to the bottom. I do have to pick the paper from the target out before collecting the BB's. I cut a corner out of the top so I can pour them into a bottle.

I have taught my self to shoot with my weak hand. Surprisingly I shoot pretty good left handed. That hand does not have any bad habits like my strong side.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 am

I have taught my self to shoot with my weak hand. Surprisingly I shoot pretty good left handed. That hand does not have any bad habits like my strong side.
Very common for this to happen as the shooter is concentrating harder on the shooting technique with the weaker hand.

R,
Bullseye

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:38 am

Thanks, blue68F100 - I'll put the BB Trap info to good use. Maybe be able to recycle BB's like you've been doing. Your post implies something I wasn't sure of: the KJW 226/229 will apparently operate DA, then SA, like the firearms do.

I'm still wondering about slide action. Does the slide function rapidly enough for 5 shot strings in 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 seconds?

Sig Sauer has their own P226 Air Soft that costs well over $ 200, I believe. The KJW looks like it will serve the same purpose. Thanks.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:02 pm

I have been able to some rapid fire, the problem is that you loose gas pressure. During the summer time it probably want be a problem. But my guess is 1/sec can be achieved easly, may be faster during the heat.

The airsoft is a metal gun with the same weight as the original, frame width of the 40/357 model. All of the controls (hammer, de-cocker, mag release, and take down lever) work the same as the real thing. The slide function just like the real thing.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks again, blue68F100 -

Do you have any idea whether the more expensive green gas would cycle the action any differently? Especially faster, .... or however? Can a rough guess-timate of the price differential be made between propane/oil and the green stuff?

Sorry to continue pestering. I'm fairly broke, so have no choice but to get the most out of my little 'dollar works' - I've only a 'steady trickle' of income as my sometimes partner comments. Thanks ahead of time.

FourCornerm'n

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:55 pm

The green gas is just propane with the silicone oil all ready in the mix. I have it and it's not any better than the propane. The propane kit consist of an adapter for the lantern cylinders and Silicone oil. You add 1 drop of oil every 5 recharges.

I think you will be fine in the summer time heat. With my gas at around 80F I can get 2/sec. But if you don't allow the gas cylinder to heat back up your pressures will drop due to cooling of the gas.
David

Custom Built 1911

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:35 pm

I ran a test on mine, with the gas a 85F, you can shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. This will slowly slow down as the gas pressure drops. Keep in mind that slide is not as fast as the real deal..
David

Custom Built 1911

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Airsoft Broke

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:06 pm

I went to use my airsoft again and it will not fire. It appears that the knocker is not in position to hit the valve.

Out warranty, and they want too much for service. It's cheaper buying a new one then I can compare and find the problem with the old one.
David

Custom Built 1911

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:41 am

Ouch !

Actually, double "Ouch" !