STI Trojan

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

larry351

STI Trojan

Post by larry351 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:01 pm

This may have been discussed before if so I appoligze, I am looking to purchase a STI Trojan, has anyone had any experience with STI.
Thanks; larry351 :wave:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

I have sampled an STI Trojan .45 single stack (1911 style) and I thought it was a very well constructed firearm. It has lots of custom features for a production gun. I cannot speak for the double stack models but I did like the single. What kind of shooting do you intend for this pistol?

R,
Bullseye

larry351

Post by larry351 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:07 pm

I will use it for steel plates and target shooting, I am trying to decide between the STI Trojan and a government size Kimber Eclipse. The man at my firing range seems to think the STI is better. :roll: :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:19 am

A range acquaintance has a 1911 STI single stack. He has had a run of mechanical problems. I don't recall the nature but the last one happened pretty quickly after he got it back for warranty work. The rest of the folks I've seen shooting STI's seem to think highly of them.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:15 am

The two pistol brands you mentioned are comparable but I personally have never been a big fan of the Kimbers. I didn't care much for the quality of them when they first came out and I've never gotten over that, even though they've made significant gains in their quality department when the Kimber Version II's came out.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:14 am

Bullseye wrote:The two pistol brands you mentioned are comparable but I personally have never been a big fan of the Kimbers. I didn't care much for the quality of them when they first came out and I've never gotten over that, even though they've made significant gains in their quality department when the Kimber Version II's came out.

R,
Bullseye
I concur. I've witnessed a few Kimbers fail (cracked barrel, broken barrel bushing, and one that would not hold onto any magazine) that were too new to have much of an excuse. Also, I don't think any of the Kimber models come with the real extended magazine well (I know they have one model that does; however, it isn't the S&A style that you would probably want) you may want that for plate shooting.

Bullseye, wasn't Kimber once a real large custom shop like RRA and Les Baer?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 pm

I don't recall Kimber being a large custom shop. They did have a custom shop back when they only had a few models but I wouldn't have considered them on par with Baer, RRA, or Wilson. They do make some parts for Wilson and a few others. They may still have a small custom shop operation running but they have so many production models with custom features that I doubt they get all that much outside work.

R,
Bullseye

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: STI Trojan

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:34 pm

larry351 wrote:This may have been discussed before if so I appoligze, I am looking to purchase a STI Trojan, has anyone had any experience with STI.
Thanks; larry351 :wave:
Hi Larry,

I owned a STI Edge 2011 (a double stack version of the Trojan, but with a better finish IMHO) for several years and absolutely loved the fit and finish. It had the best trigger of any pistol I have ever fired and the slide was smoother than a newborn babies behind. It shot like a dream and carried quite easily (for me at least - I am a big guy).

I finally decided to part with it since it is primarily designed as a competition gun, not a daily carry piece. I traded it in on a Glock 17 and 19 (with ammo) and never looked back. I never have to worry about a Glock as a carry gun, so I am happy.

Oh, I forgot to mention that STI has amazing customer service too. I really like those guys. :D
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:43 pm

A.Hermit.......YOU sir, said a mouthfull about those GLOCKS! I too have had several COLTS in 1911 (Gold CUPS & 70 series customized) and Kimbers in 1911, one a carry gun and the other two were target types in 45acp.

However, when it comes to the concealed weapon, I want my GLOCKS simply put. I carry a model 29 and model 20 in GLOCKS, both are 10mm caliber. Sometimes backup is a Smith & Wesson Airweight in 38spl.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 am

When concealed, I usually have my G27 on my hip. It's a sturdy piece of hardware.

R,
Bullseye

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Glocks Rock...period... end of sentence

Post by arizona-hermit » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Depending on the circumstances I can go from a 17 in strong side IWB and a 19 in a smart carry all the way up to a 17 in strong and weak side IWB, 19 in smart carry, 26 in ankle setup and 4 - 33 round mags in dual shoulder rigs for reloads.

Yup, I now prefer the lowly 9MM simply for ammo considerations. All my .45s are single stacks now and that is just too much weight for the return.

How much is too much? You just never know.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:52 am

Last month I tested the 45acp (1911model) Glock 17 in 9mm Luger, Sig-P226 .40 cal and several others. Now that 9mm Luger will make a believer out of those that might have been skeptical like myself, over the ability of the 9mm round to penetrate and compete with the .40 cal round.

My findings using Cor-Bon ammo in these calibers, except for the 45acp (used Speer Gold Dot) the 9mm Luger (115 grn weight) was only a 5/8 of an inch less in penetration verses the 45 acp (200grn weight) or the .40 cal. (165 grn weight) This was all done at 6 ft into soaking wet newspaper, which is very tuff on bullets. :)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 pm

The 9mm round no longer give up much due to modern updated loads. Most don't believe it but it's fact. I prefer the 9mm due to size, # of rounds and weight.

Now if if you step up to the 357sig that's another story, one powerful round. Which I think can over penetrate due to such a high velocity. All right for LEO particurally when they need to shoot through glass and doors. Since we (CC, non LEO) are responsable for what our bullet hits, over penetrating can be a bad thing.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911