First 1911-Randall

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

manic mechanic

First 1911-Randall

Post by manic mechanic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Thought I'd share my first 1911, been a gun owner since 8/05 and finally found one that just had to have. Here's a few pics.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:47 pm

Sweet lookin' pistol! For awhile I didn't care much for stainless 1911's, but the look has started to grow on me.

Manic, I sent you a PM about your post, please read it as soon as you can.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

I had one like it in the mid-80's. A friend liked it so much he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. One of the early stainless model pistols created, if I'd only known then what I know now I would have kept it.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Bullseye wrote:I had one like it in the mid-80's. A friend liked it so much he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. One of the early stainless model pistols created, if I'd only known then what I know now I would have kept it.

R,
Bullseye
I take it this particular pistol is somewhat of a collector's piece nowadays?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:44 pm

There were less than 10,000 Randall 1911's ever produced, which makes them pretty rare and desirable to collectors.

R,
Bullseye

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:04 pm

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:35 am

Mine didn't have the bumper pad on the bottom of the mainspring housing.

R,
Bullseye

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Bullseye did yours have the rubber backed mainspring housing though? I've been told this may have been an add-on or aftermarket item.
Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:42 am

No, mine had an arched mainspring housing not a flat one.

R,
Bullseye

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Well, I guess I'm going to be going thru the ole 1911 troubleshooting guides. I got 50 rounds thru it but had a lot of not wanting to chamber on initial loading and a few failures to feed after a few rounds were fired. The original mag, an original mag I picked up, and some mil specs were used were in the pistol during these failures. I received an almost new Randall mag from a guy on SIGforums that functioned perfect and an old MAGnificient 8 round mag that came with the pistol also functioned well.

OK 1911 wizards, what do I attack first feedramp polish, recoil springs, mag springs, mag lips, new mags? What is first on the list. Ammo used was Blazer Brass FMJ 230gr which in the past I've never had any problems with in my Sig 220. Thanks in advance. I'd really like to get some reliability out of this one.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:07 pm

You already located the problem, the magazines. Most all 1911 are very picky when it comes to magazines. So get the mags that work with the gun. You may not need to do any any other work.

With any used auto guns I get, I replace all the springs before I even shoot it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:33 pm

What kind of failure where you getting? Was it a three point failure?

Try some new mags, Wilson's are a good choice. Then, I'd check the feed ramp to ensure that when the barrel is down that there's a 1/32" wide ledge on top of the ramp measured to the barrel's chamber edge. If not, then someone has already polished the ramp incorrectly. Next, I'd check the extractor tension and ensure that it isn't too strong and preventing the round from sliding up under the hook and causing a jam.

R,
Bullseye

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:35 pm

I'll try and post some pics of it in jam mode.
What is a 3-point failure? I'm not familiar with that term, sorry 1911 newbie. Thanks!!

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:32 pm

manic mechanic wrote:I'll try and post some pics of it in jam mode.
What is a 3-point failure? I'm not familiar with that term, sorry 1911 newbie. Thanks!!
I'll try to explain it, hopefully I do so correctly; I've never actually seen a 3-point jam -- just read about them.

A 3-point jam is when the breechface, the barrel throat, and the underside of the barrel chamber sorta of bind little bit. Sometimes it can be caused by a poorly fitted barrel lug which allows the barrel to move in an unintended way. It basically throws off the pistol and causes rounds to to try and chamber at odd angles. I think if it's a 3point jam the round should almost be fully chambered.

Hope that's at least partially correct :P

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:01 pm

Thanks George, that is a good description. Basically the barrel moves forward before it should and the new cartridge gets caught in the process in three places, the nose, the underside of the cartridge case on the lower edge of the barrel's chamber, and the bottom of the case at the slide's breech face. The lug or the barrel link can be areas of concern in a 3 point jam. But if the 1/32" gap is missing from the end of the barrel to the edge of the feed ramp, the nose of the cartridge strikes the barrel lip during feeding and starts moving the barrel forward and upwards, thus trapping the round in a 3 point jam.

These pictures show pistols with a round caught in a 3 point jam.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29 ... 6387RMjwxt
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 8a7a80.jpg
(They are not mine, I'm using these links to illustrate how the jam appears in a 1911 pistol)

R,
Bullseye