should I or Shouldn't I

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

should I or Shouldn't I

Post by keithj » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:39 pm

I have a S&W model 65-5 in a 3in , Gun is in excellent shape shoots nice and very happy with it . Got it for just under $400.00 over the summer . well since this is my carry gun most of the time I'm thinkin of doin some custom things to it ,stippleing the back strap , round and polish the trigger and bob the hammer. Ive already changed out the springs and added some nice laminated wood grips and got a nice holster for carry but been thinking of the custum toches as well ..............should I or shouldn't I

Keith

mk70ss

Post by mk70ss » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:44 am

Go for it. Sounds like it will be a great carry gun with those changes.
There is no free ride, no one said it'd be easy

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:38 am

Why not? Some of the pictures I've seen of those types of mods look pretty good.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:00 am

Don,t really see any need to stipple the back strap but definitely bob the hammer.I used to carry a Taurus Ultra lite in .44 Special and I did have the hammer bobbed. As an S/D gun it will always be used double action, so ther is no need for the hammer extension. I switched to a 3 inch barrel 1911 just because it was less bulky than the revolver. Yes, do like big bullet carry guns. It's your gun so do what you want.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:25 am

I wouldn't stipple the backstrap on your carry gun because it can cause the pistol to "print" when carried concealed. Stippling has a tendency to snag cloth clothing and can cause the material to reveal the firearm. Wearing multiple layers of clothing may tend to reduce this problem but environmental conditions in your area may make layering difficult under certain weather conditions. A smooth backstrap will tend to allow the material to glide across the metal without snagging and greatly preventing producing an imprint of your firearm when concealed.

R,
Bullseye

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 am

Thats a very valid point Bullseye and something I didn't think about . I haven't started anything yet ,but right now I plan on bobing the hammer and polishing the trigger , its already smooth . and doing a orange insert in the front sight . the stippled back strap was something I saw on some custom gun sites and thought it looked good but I dont find it to be a nessary mod. as the hogue grips are very " grippy"
Keith

sheepman

Post by sheepman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Sounds like a good idea, definitely polish the trigger and bob the hammer. Then get lots of ammo and practice. Good luck : Bill 8)